Chapter 39/Blackmail

We carried on for what seemed like ages. within the mail train it was darker then shutting your eyes. Occasionally as the mail train shifted tracks hi could hear sparks and smell a high voltage electricity. Finally, the train came to stop The train came to stop. I pushed the late of the mail train up slightly to have a peek at what was around us. It was dark in the room we were in was like the one we just left. Except this one was lite from the glow from a red indicator light on a control panel.

"OK?, good," I told Marta. "let's get out."

We got out and I looked on the control panel for a switch which would send the train back. Dad must have been trapped in the room we left. With that trip, he had been in there a long time. I didn't feel the door would stand up too long but I was running on hope. Looking around eventually, I found a row old musty buttons. The red light indicated Mount Pleasant sorting office. There was another button below it marked Aldwych maintenance station. I press the button and suddenly the train shot out of room again. The machinery was old and worn and it was more surprising it kept working. It made a  huge clattering noise as it drifted off down the narrow track.

"If that comes back it will either have your dad or some soldiers from what ever they call homeland defence here." Said Marta. "I think we get out. If your dad is on the train coming back then we will meet him where he said"

It was a sensible plan "shush." I said followed by whispering "okay all we have to do is get out".

Just then there was a loud rattling on the door.

"Oy" said an English man's voice on the outside "who is hiding in there?"

"No one, " I said back "this room is empty."

He had clearly heard Marta talking, I was being rather sarcastic being caught off guard like that.

"Oh OK then," said the man's voice apologetically. I think I heard him walk away. We waited for a couple of minutes and nothing happened. In time, I cautiously looked under the door and through the narrow gap, no saw nothing but I partly light underground corridor.

I pulled a confused face at Marta. Unlocked the door peered, out seeing no one waiting for us I thought it best to begin moving.

We crept along what must have been part of the English post office. We passed many bags full of envelopes and small brown parcels wrapped up in twine. We carried up along a corridor at the end of which stood the beginnings of a staircase. It was not well lit down here. All you could really hear was the buzz of elderly ballast on fluorescent lights. Marta and I tried to use the bags as cover. We darted from one to another. Eventually, the staircase was under an industrial metal arch covered in rivets, just after the next mailbag.

I got up and looking around went towards the staircase. My thinking was that the local post office workers would use the elevator for the heavy bags. The staircase would really be in case of fire. I looked either side up and down the corridor which crossed the one I was in. I was about to go when I walked practically into a postman who appeared from nowhere.

"Who are you? You don't work here?" saind the postman. On he's sober dark grey wool jacket he had a name badge. 'Eric'

"You're right" I said "err err. Promise you won't tell anybody"

Eric the postman's face suddenly changed.

"Don't tell me" he began "you were trying to post yourself through the mail"

I was stunned for a second. It seemed like a better reason I'm escaping from a police raid. "yes your right" I admitted, "how did you know?"

"Happens all the time dun nit."