Chapter 38/Lost in the mail

A/N the authors would like to apologise for the light load of new chapters. We will admit it's our fault but we will two simultaneous episodes of the Handmaidens tale and the new game of thrones season in need of watching. 

----

Aldwych abandoned underground train station, HQ of the PI sentient resistance league. 

Dad turned to me.

"You've been followed," said Dad shouting in the noise. His voice had all the surprise of someone accidentally walking into Donald Trump's and Mel Gibson's combined coming out party. 

He started rushing down a corridor.

"Don't worry I have a secret exit. It's used by the Z-men. People who know too much." Said, Dad. He grabbed my hand and pulled me along. I, in turn, grabbed Marta. While we rushed Dad shouted orders to people. People who had been sitting in long rows down the tunnel now standing up running programs to delete everything on their computers and shredding whatever bits of paper they had. It looked like they had rehearsed this before now because they all worked with intense calm.

In the distance, I could hear a large snapping noise.

"Shots, " said dad looking around trying to judge where they were coming from. Is that what they sounded like, "it looks like they have got past the outer defences. In a few moment, the lights will go off. You will smell smoke. This will be the cover to let everyone escape."

Dorris rushed up "They are coming in through the second entrance." She said desperately.

Dad's face turned sour.

"This way" he said. 

Dad passed down the corridor which had a sign saying to the circle line. As we wove past people, I held Marta's hand as hard as I could. She passed me the test tube with the cure. Then there was another loud bang. Dad look behind us there were some men in black overhauls wearing helmets. They were carrying guns, one of which was still smoking. Dad pulled out a pistol and shot.

He rushed up to a door and then unlocked it.

"This used to be a separate tunnel used by the post office." He explained. It was dim in here but in the gloom I could see what looked like a miniature Electric train. Behind it were two carriages each looked like a coffin. The equipment seemed old and rust grasped over gaps in corners.

"Ur this is revolting... This place looks like a corroded tip or it should be on the front cover of a Rachel Ashwell catalogue," said Marta looking around.

"Both of you get in, your lives depended upon it," said Dad.

Marta and I got in. As we did it became apparent that this mail train would only carry the two of us.

"What about you?" I said.

"You two go, I'll catch up. Don't wait for me. If we get split, I will meet you on Tower Bridge wharf in a day." Dad said.

There was I rattle at the door.

"Quick go." He added.

"No! You've got to take my place. I don't know anything about how to get into Overworld" I said getting up. Dad pushed me back down.

"I don't know how to get in either. The only useful fact I know is that General Samael lives on Patriot Avenue in Washington near the Pentagon." Dad added putting the lid over me.

There was a loud bang at the door. Dad pushed a filing cabinet in front of it.

"You go, I'll get the next one" he said pushing an old Electric lever with his hand while pushing his shoulder against the filing cabinet stop it from moving.

As the train began to bars and spark out of the chamber I heard him "Tell your mother I loved her possessed or unpossessed. Something smart to your sister."

I wasn't sure what he said after that, the noise of electric train in the tube and the banging on the door drowned everything else out. Then I heard shots.