Chapter 28/Paris but not Hilton

A/N RK is finally post house move but still freaked by the whole process. Sorry for the single chapter. 

It was morning on the day after we arrived at the French coast

It was morning on the day after we arrived at the French coast. I had given up on going back to the US. I thought the best thing to do was to find Pi and get them the cure. Perhaps they could figure out the formula. I was standing on deck talking to Sam watching the Riverbank go by, on Alex's luxury yacht was sailing up the river 'Seine' to Paris.

"So when did you realize you weren't infected?" I asked him.

Sam looked at me "I remember quite distinctly. It was the day I realized everyone in my family was wrong and the London Underground wasn't the name of a revolutionary movement."

I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"OMG, I remember that as well. I saw the map thought wow these terrorists had dumb code names. I remember my sister creating this complex story about why they drew a map of themselves and made it all public. " I said.

"How about you?" Sam said.

"It was the other way round. It was my dad telling me to act dumber than I was all the time" I said then paused "I do remember my older sister thought that when people died in a movie that they actually died. She said they hired suicidal people to play the parts."

Sam smiled and I wanted another smile.

"And it took me a while to convince her there was a difference between an Elizabethan and a Lesbian with a lisp" I added.

"Well we've all made that mistake," said Sam "I blame William Shakespeare."

"For ages when I was young I went around and she would say her friend so and so was Elizabethan and I thought they had just bought themselves a large ruffle."

Sam laughed.

"I was always annoyed when they said 'those are some of the programs for the week ahead' on television because they never said what programs were going to happen if you didn't have a 'weaker head?'" I said turning round to look at the river around us.

Marta passed by and had clearly been listening to the conversation.

"You OK," I said as she passed.

"No I'm not" said Marta "My mind is mangled. Until a few minutes ago I thought that 'duct tape' was 'Duck tape.' I thought it was made from ducks or something."

"That's like totally insane no wonder your mind is mangled," I said

"No" Marta began "what's mangling my brain is how they take a whole bunch of metal ducts and turn them into black tape".

She smiled "but what do I know I'm just Elizabethan"

We sailed under a wide flat bridge. In the distance, I could see a tall medieval church.

"is Paris already?" I asked.

"No it's Rouen," said Marta. "I sneaked a look at the ships sat nav earlier. We will be there in a couple of hours."

"Strange," I said, "I thought Paris was just a radioactive hole in the ground."

"Weirdly not true," said Sam. "it was one of those weird Internet rumors that got out of control. Like Taylor Swift is actually a boy from Devon*"

"Taylor Swift is actually a boy from Devon? Tell me more," said Marta walking by looking for something.

"Yeah, you know in the way Justin Bieber saved a Russian man from a bear," I said. I was enjoying not having to trim things down. I was considering saying 'in the way Tom Cruise can play a 20 year old still." 

"Yeah," said Marta."It's equally wrong" I added. I turned to Sam "but Paris has become a byword for a radioactive hole in the ground. It must be just a little bit hole-ey?"

"Nope," said Sam. As we left the city and cruised down the river.

"so when boys say I'm as deep as the Paris basin and just as hot it's a complete lie," I said "it's like saying I'm as deep as a Quattro cheese pizza and just as meaty."

"Largely," said Sam. "It's like people with Tourettes that's swear a lot. They have become a byword for something they hardly ever do".

"So rough, it's bad enough being famous for something you did. And Now you're saying some people are famous for things they never did".

"Just like Paris Hilton dieting down from a size 24W," said Sam.

Just then Marta walked by with a fire axe.

"Marta? What are you doing?" I asked her.

"The satnav is programmed to leave for Boston as soon as we arrive in Paris I'm just going to get ready to reprogram it" she said.

"Hey may be it was Paris Hilton who is a radioactive hole in the ground for saying she invented Kim Kardashian"

I looked up I noticed there was the outline of a non decimated city just a up ahead.

*****

A/N - we are most honored to have a new fan cover by @emberblazeofwindclan let us know what you think of this. We think it's pretty fab. There are few things that can make you really set up in awe at Wattpad these days. Huge huge hugs to Ember and Ember's magic.