Chapter 1: Inner Demons

JACE

Ever since I was little I was taught that what the public calls "monsters" are supposed to be bad, but what else was I supposed to be taught? After all, my dad began working for White Rabbit, a government agency that kills "monsters," after my mother was murdered by one when I was five. There's just one problem -- I could never fully believe my father. While it would seem logical that I should, I just couldn't. Something inside of me always was bothered by all the speeches he gave at press conferences and all of the things he told me about the people with supernatural powers. It just didn't make sense to me. While there were always "monsters" who attacked the public, they couldn't all be bad. And then there were the ones who only attacked agencies like White Rabbit. It wasn't like they were purposefully harming everyone in their path, they just wanted to ensure their safety. I couldn't blame them since I had the sinking feeling that White Rabbit hasn't just been killing "monsters" who act out, but any of them that they come across. Either way, ever since I was old enough to start training, my father had me shooting guns at targets, running all the time, and he raised me to be protective. Now that I'm seventeen, I've been expected to want to join White Rabbit soon, but the thing is -- I don't really want to. I don't want to believe that what my father is doing is wrong, but something inside of me just can't agree with it.

I sigh as I stand in front of my mirror and run a hand through my brown hair and my blue eyes scan across my appearance -- a black jacket, navy blue t-shirt, black jeans, and my chain belt. My eyes then drift up to my dog tags, which are hanging around my neck, and I lift them up with my hand. I remember being given these at a press conference with my father for ranking as one of the best shooters when I competed against members of White Rabbit. They're supposed to be a symbol of working at White Rabbit, but I was given them because I'm expected to. I sigh and let the dog tags fall back down and rest against my chest before I make sure that my gun is stored safely in my jacket pocket.

"Go run some errands, Jace," I sigh as I recite my father's words from earlier today, "Go stop by the market and pick up a few things for us. Be sure to be on the look out for any 'monsters' while you're down there too. Oh, and we need some more ammunition while you're at it."

I shake my head and sigh once more before heading out of my room and walking down the hall before turning to the left, picking up my sneakers, putting them on, and heading out the front door. I walk down the light brown, wooden, porch stairs and head down the sidewalk path in our yard, turning right when I reach the city's sidewalk.

Earlier this morning I was watching the TV with Daylen, my father, looking at the live news report of the attack on city hall. I remember the bright, orange explosions and the girl with shoulder-length, white hair, orange eyes, and flaming orange wings, along with a boy with brown eyes and dark green hair, who had vines wrapped around his forearms and the vines could shoot out with sharp points on the ends. I remember the anger that burned in the girl's eyes as she set the building ablaze from the sky, and the way the boy's vines plunged into the building, breaking through the cement walls and creating wholes wherever they struck. I remember being fascinated by them, but my father wasn't so enthused. I never told him how I felt about everything. I always stood by him and nodded, obeying his orders, and being the son he always wanted me to be.

"Hey, Jace!" A familiar feminine voice shouts and I glance over to the side just as the raven haired girl jumps on the sidewalk and lands next to me, her ponytail swooshing and her blue eyes shining as she smiles and nudges my arm, her tall, dark grey boots complimenting her black skinny jeans and her dark grey, long sleeve shirt with body armor over it as well as the dark green scarf around her neck.

"Misa," I sigh, "You shouldn't be so careless. You might get hit by a car if you just run across the road."

"Oh come on," She chuckles and walks alongside me as she pats on both sides of her waist, where two pistols are strapped, "I've got these to protect me. You know, I used to have a better aim than you! That is, until you passed me up. Tsk, now I'm the second best."

"Misa," I roll my eyes and shake my head, "That's not going to protect you from an oncoming car."

"Whatever," She rolls her eyes in return before smiling, "So, where is my little brother heading to today?"

A small smile makes its way onto my face as we continue walking down the sidewalk towards the market. Misa Hevlanik has been my best friend ever since I was a child. I met her when my dad took me to one of his first press conferences, and Misa happened to be there showing off her marksmanship skills...with a water gun...after all, she was only eight. I was seven at the time, and ever since Misa and I became best friends she always referred to me as her little brother, despite me only being a year younger than her. Misa's parents both work at White Rabbit, and so ever since Misa was young she was expected to join as well. A few months ago Misa officially joined White Rabbit on her eighteenth birthday, aside from the fact that she had already done so much for it already.

"I have to go buy more supplies," I say as we round the corner to the market, the smell of baked goods and freshly sliced fruits fills the air, as well as the smell of newly polished furniture, "We need more ammunition and other stuff, I guess."

"So..." Misa trails off, "Is this just another ploy for your father to get you out of the house and looking for 'monsters' while getting supplies?"

"Pretty much," I shrug and kick a stray pebble as we enter the market itself, "But what else could I expect? You know who I'm dealing with, Misa. You know what's expected of me. I can't fall short of what he wants me to do."

"That's not necessarily true," Misa frowns, "You don't have to do anything you don't want to. It's your life, Jace. Don't let anybody else control it. I know how you feel about...things...and I'm not saying I feel the same way, but I respect your feelings and I understand. Your father should too."

"Thanks," I smile at her and the two of us walk past several street vendors and a few stores, looking for an ammunition vendor.

While I'm grateful for Misa's advice, I don't think that I can take it just yet. After all, I still have to figure out things for myself, and I don't know how long that'll take. All I know is that when I look over at Misa, I'm happy to have a friend like her, and I'll do anything to protect those who live in this city.