Chapter 31: When Heavens Collide

REECE

My watch continues to ring out the dial tones as I wait for Raphael to pick up, my feet carrying me back and forth across the pavement as I pace impatiently.

"Well, what a pleasant surprise," Raphael hums in an amused tone whenever he answers.

"It'll be a pleasant surprise when I come shove my foot up your ass," I snort, "Where on earth were you?"

"Ooh, feisty. Just the way I like 'em," Raphael chuckles before he sighs, "I was busy. You know how it is, gathering information, running from the law, running from bad deals or people who I owe money. What do you want?"

"I have some information that you might like," I say as I lean up against the wall and kick my foot up, "That is, if you're willing to help me. And, considering what the information entails, I'd say you'd be more than willing."

"Oh?" Raphael says, genuinely sounding somewhat surprised and interested, "I'm listening."

"It's about Azriel," I say and Raphael's breath hitches, "Do you want me to continue?"

"Yes."

"He's alive, for starters," I say.

"Oh?"

"Yeah," I say and shift around.

"Go on," Raphael says after a few moments.

"He was captured by members of White Rabbit back when he was sixteen. The thing is, Azriel is alive, but he's also dead. Azriel's conscious got transferred to another body, one that White Rabbit synthetically produced using who knows what and his genetics. The new being is still named Azriel, but they changed his last name. Azriel still has his memories, but they're buried underneath all that they wanted the new being to believe. He was essentially turned into a Supernatural, lethal, almost unstoppable killing machine," I explain.

"That goes entirely against what Azriel used to stand for," Raphael sneers, "And let me guess, you want me to trigger his memories?"

"You used to trigger him very well, if I can remember properly," I chuckle slightly.

"He wasn't a particularly violent person, but I usually ended up in fights with him, despite being childhood friends. Yes, of course I remember how I used to get under his skin," Raphael says, "You do realize this could get me killed, right?"

"Yeah, I know, it's asking a lot--"

"I'll do it. It sounds fun," Raphael laughs.

"You're psychotic," I sigh.

"I know," I can practically hear the smile in his voice.

"Either way, thanks," I say, "It means a lot to us all."

"Of course," Raphael says, "I'll see you around, Maverick."

"What a nutjob," I chuckle fondly as I hang up, letting my arm drop back down to my waist and pushing off of the wall before heading back inside.

As I'm walking down the hallway past where Katsuro is staying, I hear his voice trailing out into the air and I decide to lean against the wall by the room to spy.

"Thank you for taking care of me," Katsuro says.

"No problem," Juniper smiles at him happily and warmly, "You still have a slight fever, but you should be fine soon."

"You know, you're really beautiful," Katsuro says as Juniper presses a rag to his forehead and her eyes widen in surprise and she blushes, "So, so beautiful and lovely."

"Katsuro," Juniper starts, "What're--"

Katsuro cuts her off by leaning up slightly, which prompts Juniper to move her hand with the rag off of his forehead, and he raises a hand to the side of her face before he leans in and kisses her softly.

My eyebrows raise in surprise and my grip on the door frame almost busts the framework as my eye twitches in irritation before I sigh and attempt to relax knowing that it's Katsuro and that he'll treat her well. After all, I wouldn't let just anyone be with the girl who's like a little sister to me.

"K--Katsuro," Juniper gasps whenever he pulls away and smiles softly at her.

"What're you doing?"

I jolt in surprise and whirl around to find Essence staring at me and standing a few feet behind me.

"Um," I clear my throat and shift away from the doorway, "Nothing. What're you doing?"

"I just finished training with Lucian, Aeryn, and Valentina," Essence says, "Then I came up here and saw you being all suspicious."

"Oh," I rub the back of my neck awkwardly, "Speaking of training, do you wanna go have that match that I promised you?"

"Wow, you aren't even going to offer me time to rest?" Essence mock gasps and presses a hand against her chest.

"There is no time to rest in real battles," I counter and raise a brow at her, crossing my arms against my chest.

"Fair enough," Essence smiles, "I wouldn't turn down the chance to take you down anyway."

"And what makes you think that you're going to win?" I muse as the two of us walk towards the basement.

"Because I'm Essence Kaori, and I'm done running, that's why," Essence throws me a lopsided grin.

"Well then, bring it on," I say and nod in approval as we head down the stairs to the basement.

"I plan to," Essence says as she jumps off of the last stair and runs across the basement floor to the BCP, entering her battle stance by holding both of her fists up like a boxer.

I chuckle as she motions for me with one hand as she stands there, a grin working its way onto her face. I make my way over to her casually, summoning my great sword and holding it out and pointing it at her with one hand.

"Be prepared for anything," I say before getting into my battle stance and holding my sword with both hands, shifting my left leg back further than the right.

"I always am," Essence says as the BCP begins to state our Shifts and power levels.

"Opponent: ESSENCE KAORI. Power level: 750. Shift: Genesis," The BCP says, "Challenger: REECE MAVERICK. Power level: 800. Shift: Chrono."

"Are you ready to lose?" Essence smirks.

"That's a question you should be asking yourself," I say before leaping towards her with my great sword raised.