Chapter 47: Justice's Blessing

JACE

The next day, Clattonia leads us out into the city, following Rai's instructions that she sent us from the hospital. She decided to stay with Daemon there overnight and he's supposed to be discharged sometime today. We wander through the city while Clattonia gives on edge and calculative glances around the city. Reece checks his watch every so often and also glances around speculatively.

We come to an empty, deserted street with a few cars parked by the sidewalk here and there and several tall glass buildings and a few smaller businesses here and there mixed in with a home or two. Clattonia scans the area and holds a hand out in front of my chest, forcing me to bump into her and stop walking.

"Wait," Clattonia says, "they're expecting us."

"They're here?" I raise my eyebrows.

"I believe so," Clattonia says as her eyes flicker around, "everyone, be careful and remember to be cautious of your surroundings."

As she says this, Aeryn simply walks out in the middle of the street, the click of her heeled boots on the pavement being the only sound echoing in the air.

"Aeryn!" Clattonia hisses, "get back here!"

"Is she nuts?" Kazuki's eyes widen in disbelief.

Clattonia sighs and princes the bridge of her nose in frustration.

"Shouldn't someone go after her?" I ask as I watch her receding figure.

"I have a feeling she'll be just fine," Reece says with a slight smirk tugging at his lips.

Essence eyes Reece wearily and Caliber simply nods in agreement with him as Lucian frowns in contemplation. Meanwhile, Aeryn eyes her surroundings as she casually continues to walk down the street, a slow smile playing at her lips. As she does so, Mitsuko casts a light blue aura shield to keep us from being visible to the members of White Rabbit, aside from Aeryn, who is now out of her reach.

"Why does Aeryn seem like she's entitled to everything?" I ask, wondering what made her the way she is.

"It's not that she's entitled," Clattonia starts as we watch Aeryn summon a long whip made out of frozen bullets that crackles as she swings it around and drags it along the pavement, sounds of electricity sparking off of it, "it's just, well...Aeryn was often mocked whenever she was younger. She comes from a rich family and whenever she was a child, people often made fun of her by calling her spoiled, rotten, entitled, and a string of other names simply because of their jealousy. She was always kind to everyone, but still got backlash simply because of who she was. And so, she became what they called her after having a psychotic break. They wanted to see a selfish, spoiled, reckless princess, so that's what she gave them. And she showed no mercy."

"What?" Lucian inhales sharply, his eyes widening.

"You didn't know that?" I raise my eyebrows in surprise, thinking that everyone knew everything about each other, aside from me.

"No," Lucian shakes his head slowly as he watches Aeryn, "I didn't."

Aeryn swings her whip around as members of White Rabbit begin to fire at her and it crackles in the air as it wraps around one of the sniper's legs and she throws him off of the building as he screams. Aeryn leaps through the air as she throws her whip at another member from the side, which tangles around their body and freezes them solid. Right after she releases the whip, she pulls out two pistols from her black jacket and begins firing pink frost bullets at the remaining members as she twirls in the air, her black skirt flaring out as she smirks. Aeryn lands on a nearby car as the casings land on the ground around her from her pistols and she switches the bullet type to fire burst bullets, which glow bright red. Meanwhile, from behind the aura shield, Lucian summons his sword and slams the point into the ground, pushing it down in further as he closes his eyes and concentrates.