Chapter 56: Reconciliations

CLATTONIA

I shift around uncomfortably as Jace and I sit in a medium sized area that's tented over that has lots of multi-colored blankets on the ground with several different patterns on them and there's a low table sitting in front of us with a teapot and two trays of tea, one for us that has two teacups, and one for my mother, who is sitting across from us and sipping from her cup of tea.

After meeting her in the middle of the street, she told us that she would explain everything if we would follow her. I was reluctant at first, but ultimately we ended up going with her. Surprisingly, she even recognized Jace. I guess that shouldn't be too strange, but she seemed to know more about him than what gets broadcasted on TV and she didn't seem alarmed by him being with me.

"I would like to apologize for...not being there for you, whenever you were little," Myfanwy says with a slightly pained, slightly guilty expression, "I want you to know that I only ran to keep you safe. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work out too well, seeing as your father was taken away from you several years later and you were almost captured as well."

"You ran to protect me, but I would rather face death than face losing you," I shake my head, "don't you understand that? I missed you every single day. Did you even miss us?"

"I did," Myfanwy frowns, seemingly saddened, "I truly did miss you and your father every single day. But, I'm proud of the woman you've become. I only wish your father could be here to see you. He's still being held in prison, I know. And it's not true that I completely abandoned you."

"What are you talking about?" I ask as Jace looks between the two of us, frowning.

"I've been watching over you ever since I left, looking after you, Reece, and the others every single day," Myfanwy explains, "I was never truly gone. I was your shadow watching over you. I must admit, I found it slightly amusing whenever you met Jace. But, I knew that things would turn out well, despite the circumstances. I only wish that you forgive me for what I did. I know that you have every right to be upset, but know that I only did what I did because I thought that what I was doing was right."

We sit there in silence for a few moments, the only sounds being the sound of the light rain that begins to fall outside. Suddenly, Myfanwy's eyes flicker to the corner of the tent and she stands up, seeming on edge as she reaches for her katana, the smell of rain in the air as she makes her way to the edge of the tent.

"Mom?" I say quietly, wondering what she's doing.

"Shh," she presses a finger to her lips and peeks outside of the tent before scoffing and pushing the opening aside, stepping through as it flaps in the breeze and some water droplets enter the tent, "Misery Heaven. Stay away from me and my daughter."

My eyes meet Jace's and we both look at each other, stunned for a brief moment, before I summon my katanas and Jace and I scramble to the exit of the tent to watch what's happening. The two of us watch as Misery stands there in a black and white dress with a black serpent on it that starts at her hip and spirals up around to the top of the dress, which stops at her mid-thighs and the straps that hold it up are connected to a band of black cloth that ties around her neck and she has a white serpent choker on. She has sleeves on the dress that start just passed her shoulder and have a black band with white trim with long, flowing white sleeves connected to them. She walks closer towards us in her black thigh-highs and short black boots, her eyes flickering from the edge of the tent to Myfanway.

"I'm not here to fight you," Misery says, "I have a proposition for you."

"And I don't want to hear it," Myfanwy says, swinging her silver katana around firmly, "stay away from my family."