Chapter 18: Of Feathers and Roses

REECE

I grimace and cross my arms against my chest as I stand next to Clattonia by the front counter in the apothecary as Jace walks in the door. I still don't trust him. He hasn't given me a reason to, and who knows if he ever will. Jace's eyes flicker around the small shop, the dark green walls filled with ornaments, shelves with potion bottles and colored dusts, and an old clock that has intricate framework that resembles gears and has rose petals and a raven feather hanging off of it on a small chain, at least, that's what it would appear to be. If one looks closer, they can see that it's actually a feather from a Dark Angel, one who I happen to know very well.

Jace's boots pound against the dark, oaken floorboards after he passes by the dark green rug with lime trim that rests by the entrance. Clattonia raises a brow at him as his eyes catch on to her and his breath seems to catch in his throat. I narrow my eyes at him and snort as he gets closer.

"What're we here for?" Jace asks, more directed towards Clattonia than me.

"Reece told me that he ran into Essence around here, which was where he encountered Kazuki. He recently ran in to Kazuki again while he was with Lucian and Katsuro, but this time Kazuki was with Misery and another Supernatural named Nightshade. I assume you know who Misery is," Clattonia explains.

"Okay," Jace nods in understanding as he glances around the shop once more, "But why this specific store?"

"Nightshade uses a special type of dust," I explain and Jace's eyes dart to mine, "I wanted to know if the owner of this store knew what it was and if she was around here or even possibly in this store."

"But if the store owner knows that Nightshade is a known criminal, why would they sell to her?" Jace asks as he folds his arms against his chest.

"Because I'm obligated to treat all patrons equally as long as they do not specifically state they mean ill harm and as long as they do not break the conditions of my store," A feminine voice comes from a room back behind the counter as a petite girl with long pink hair with thick, red swatches up front and red eyes comes into sight, "I'm not allowed to segregate. This store is supposed to be a safe haven to all Supernatural."

"Aiko," I smile at her fondly and she grins back, one of her fangs sticking out in the process.

"I overheard your conversation as I was sorting bottles in the back," Aiko says as her eyes scan us down, before she pauses on Jace and frowns slightly.

I raise a brow at Aiko in curiosity, knowing she can sense that he's human, but she's never had a problem with humans. Is it that she knows who he is? My right hand clenches in the thought of his presence making her uncomfortable. I knew it was a bad idea to bring him here.

"Can you help us?" Clattonia asks in a tone of complete seriousness and confidence, but not a hint of arrogance can be found.

"Nightshade came by recently and ordered ingredients for her specially made dust, but I do not supply her with the dust itself. Nightshade uses her Supernatural abilities to make her own and infuse it with her own properties," Aiko explains and shakes her head sadly, "I cannot help you there. But I can give you the ingredients she asked for, if it will help."

"That will be helpful, thank you," Clattonia nods and Aiko goes into the back room once more.

The sound of clattering bottles comes from the back room rather quickly, and Clattonia mills around the room while waiting, brushing her index finger over some old novels sitting on a side table as she leans down to examine them better.

"You know," A certain black haired, red eyed, Vampiric Dark Angel appears into sight as he sits on one of the shelves, reclined back with one of his legs up and his arm resting on his knee as his other hand holds his chin, "You could buy those, if you wanted."

Clattonia's red eyes drift up to the half-Vampire, half-Dark Angel, to meet his red ones that seem to glow with mischief as his black wings flutter and a feather falls to the floor and Jace's eyes widen in surprise.

"Who the hell are you?" Clattonia asks with one of her eyebrows raised and her hands on her hips as she looks up at him from her slightly bent over position.

"Raphael," I sigh, "Knock it off."

"Fine," Raphael sighs before offering Clattonia a hand and a slight smirk, "I'm Raphael Belial."

Clattonia hesitantly reaches for his hand and shakes it uncertainly, still observing and discerning just who he is.

"How do you know who he is?" Clattonia asks as she turns to look at me.

"More importantly, how do you know who he is and she not know?" Jace asks.

"I have acquaintances," I shrug and glance off in the direction of the back room.

"Don't scare off my friends," Aiko chides as she walks back out to the counter with several glass jars containing assortments of powders ranging from baby blue to amethyst purple, an occasional emerald green, vibrant pink, and sunny yellow here and there.

"But the brunette seems especially enticing," Raphael pouts and plays with a knife that he drew from one of the pockets of his black pants as Jace eyes him wearily.

Aiko shoots Raphael a look of displeasure and he sighs before jumping off of the counter and putting his blade back in his pocket, pulling his fur-lined, black jacket with blood red trim around him.

"I'll be on my way, then," Raphael waves with a flick of his right hand as he keeps his left hand in his pant's pocket and walks out the door of the store.

"I didn't know Raphael works here," I say as I turn my attention back to Aiko and she hands Clattonia the purple and pink jars.

"He doesn't," Aiko says as she hands the green and yellow jars to Jace, "He just stays here from time to time. I figured it was the least I could do, since..."

"Yeah..." I trail off as she hands me the blue jar and moves to add up the total in the register.

Clattonia and Jace both eye us curiously as Aiko adds up the total with a 'ding' of the register.

"By the way," Aiko says as she leans over the register and crosses her arms against it as she rests her chin on her arms, "How's my sister?"

"Basil is good," I nod and smile warmly, "Shido still keeps Katsuki from teasing her too much."

"That's good," Aiko smiles, "I'll have to visit them some time."

"Yeah, you should," I agree, "And thanks for your help."

"No problem," Aiko waves us off, "Come back any time."

"Thank you," Clattonia bows slightly to her as we make our way out of the store.

"And, Jace," Aiko calls to him as he stands in the doorway and he looks over his shoulder at her, eyebrows raised in surprise, "I promise Raphael won't eat you."

Jace blinks in surprise a few times before nodding and making his way out the door to meet Clattonia and me on the porch.

And as we descend the stairs, I faintly hear Jace mutter, "How did she know..."

A smirk makes its way onto my face and I chuckle slightly. Leave it to Aiko to leave him speechless and wondering just who she is.

"Hm?" Clattonia looks at Jace over her shoulder as the glass jars in her hands click together.

"Erm, nothing," Jace shakes his head and sighs defeatedly.

And as a smile works its way onto Clattonia's face, I know full well that she heard him the first time too.