Chapter 46: Maverick's Girl

ESSENCE

After helping make dinner, I go to the bedroom that I'm sharing with Jace, Clattonia, and Reece. Juniper told me that she won't be able to change Reece's bandages because she's working on mixing up more cures and healing potions to possible ailments that may arise or be inflicted when we fight members of White Rabbit or other Supernatural. I offered to help Reece and she gratefully handed me the wad of bandages and cotton that she wanted me to use. Therefore, here I am now, standing at the end of the bed that I shared with Reece last night while he sits in front of me.

"Really, I can do it myself," Reece insists as I place the roll of bandages next to him on the bed.

"No," I shake my head, "let me do it."

"Fine," Reece sighs before reaching down and grabbing the corners of his black v-neck before stripping it off and tossing it on to the floor, my eyes scanning down his chest in the process.

I visibly swallow before anxiously inching closer to the foot of the bed, my fingers reaching for and flitting about the bandages wrapped around his right bicep. I carefully unwravel them while biting my lower lip as I anxiously await seeing the wound underneath, wondering just how bad it actually is. Once the bandages are off, I notice that the wound isn't too bad, just a long cut that travels several inches diagonally and covers almost the entire way across his bicep.

"Oh," I give a slight sigh of relief, "it doesn't look that bad."

"That's what I tried telling everyone in the first place," Reece sighs in frustration.

"Well," I say as I place the old bandages on the end table, "better to be safe than sorry."

"I guess," Reece shrugs and I notice him wince slightly at the movement.

I grab the bottle of antiseptic that Juniper left behind on the night stand and I pick up a cotton ball before putting antiseptic on it and moving back over to Reece. I gently rub the cotton ball along his wound and dab at it, making sure to properly clean it. After that, I place the cotton ball back on the end table and grab some salve out of a bowl that Juniper also left behind and I make my way back over to Reece once again. I carefully place three of my fingers that are covered in the cool, white salve and rub them along Reece's wound, gently applying the medicine. Reece watches me throughout the entire process and he breathes with his lips slightly parted as if he's mesmerized.

"You know," Reece starts as I continue running my fingers along his bicep, "I'm not used to this..."

"Hm?" I raise a brow at him, glancing at his face to read his expression as I continue to apply the salve.

"Somebody taking care of me," Reece says and shifts around slightly on the bed, "I mean, my mom was there to take care of me whenever I'd scrape my knees and my arms up as a kid and all that, but I was usually the adult of the house. I had to take care of myself most of the time because my mom was always too afraid of my dad. Granted, he was hardly ever home, but still. I guess it just, it makes me feel weird to have somebody else taking care of me."

"Does it feel weird in a bad kind of way?" I ask as I meet his eyes and he shakes his head.

"No," he breathes out, "it's...good."

I smile before making my way back over to the night stand and wiping off my hands on a tissue before going back over to the bed and picking up the roll of bandages. I take some of the white, gauze bandages and lean in closer to Reece, who watches me carefully, as I begin to wrap them around his bicep. I wrap the bandages around a few times before pursing my lips as I examine my handiwork.

"Can you hold this here?" I ask as I motion to the roll of bandages.

"Sure," Reece nods and holds on to the roll with his left hand while I go grab a pair of scissors from the nightstand.

After grabbing the scissors, I head back over to Reece and take the roll of bandages back from him before cutting the roll away from the parts that are wrapped around Reece's bicep. I nod and smile, happy with my work, and head back over to the nightstand.

"Hey, uh, Essence," Reece starts as I place the scissors down on the nightstand with the roll of bandages.

"Hm?" I hum as I glance over at him before making my way back to him, "is there something wrong? Did I wrap it too tight?"

"No, I--"

"Here, I can fix it--" I start as I lean forwards, my fingers going to reach for the bandages that are wrapped around his arm.

"Essence," Reece says firmly and grabs my hands before I can reach his wound, "there's nothing wrong with my bandages."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as his brown eyes intensely bore into mine and I can see flecks of gold in them from being up this close to him.

"Then what is it?" I ask.

"You see, the thing is," Reece starts, "lately, I've been, well..."

"Reece?" I question, frowning slightly as I begin to get worried.

"You're always..." Reece trails off, "I just...I..."

"Reece? You're worrying me," I say, concern laced throughout my voice.

"Fuck this," Reece says, his eyes smoldering as they scan mine, "I've always been better at doing things than saying them anyway."

"Re--"

Reece pulls me down into his lap before leaning down and pressing his lips to mine as his left hand cups the side of my face and his right hand rests on my waist. My eyes widen in surprise and I sit there for a few seconds, frozen, as my mind comprehends what's happening. He pulls away before I can manage to react and I sit there, blinking, as I stare into his eyes. He looks somewhat worried as he scans my expression and I realize that he might feel like he did this against my will.

"I...um...you...uh..." I stammer as I blush and try to form a coherent sentence.

"Sorry, I should've asked before--"

"No! I mean, no," I shake my head and interrupt him, "I liked it. I mean, I like you. I like you too, Reece."

"You do?" Reece's eyes widen slightly and I nod, biting my lower lip while trying to contain my happiness.

"I do," I breathe out as I throw my arms around his neck and lean in closer to him, my breath fanning across his lips as I nod, my eyes scanning his.

Reece wastes no time connecting our lips again and I run one of my hands through his golden blond hair while my other grips on to his shoulder and he moves me closer to him so that I'm almost pressed up against his chest as my legs lock around his waist.

"Does this mean you'll be my girlfriend?" Reece asks after we pull apart after a few minutes, his eyes scanning mine as he smiles slightly.

"Of course," I laugh slightly, "I'd be honored to be your girlfriend, Reece Maverick."

"Good," Reece grins, "I was hoping that you'd say that."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," I say before I place a quick kiss to his lips before unwrapping myself from around him and moving off of the bed, "now, come on, the others are finishing up eating dinner and you don't want to miss having any."

"I'd rather have you, but alright," Reece shrugs and my eyes widen.

"Reece!" I shout as he laughs and sprints away from the bed and out the bedroom as I chase after him.

That boy...but, I'm lucky to have him.