Chapter 13: Worth It

CLATTONIA

I sigh and glance at my phone once more, waiting for Reece to come back from his mission, as I sit in my room. After Jace met the Berndtsson twins and Kai, a guardian to the twins, I sparred with Jace for a few hours while waiting on Reece. I wanted to test his abilities myself and to see what he was made of.

"You could use some practice," I said as I watched the male figure before me, his blue eyes burning into mine, studying me and watching me.

"You seem to be quite skilled," Jace said as he watched me in my fighting stance, holding my glowing red katana with both hands, a small smile in the form of a smirk making its way onto my face.

"I'm well aware, it is you who I'm not certain of," I replied, swinging my katana around and it turning into a pair of silver daggers with blood red handles in the process.

I caught the other dagger in my hand gracefully as I held the one that was at the original handle of the katana. Meanwhile, Jace raised a brow at me.

"When do I get a cool weapon?" He sighed with longing.

"Whenever you earn it," I chuckle slightly in amusement and he nods his head in agreement.

"Fine, then I'll just have to prove myself to you," He said as he got back into his fighting stance.

"Careful, those could be your dying words," I said and looked at him intensely.

"Then I'll have to make them worth it," Jace said as he began running towards me with the practice bow I gave him, drawing an arrow from his quiver and sliding on his knees as he notched it and aimed at me, pulling back the string and the arrow glinting silver with energy, "Because I want to do everything I can to prove myself to you, even if it means the death of me."

My breath hitched and my eyes widened in my assault at his words, my pace slowing, catching the arrow between my daggers directly in front of my face when he releases it, the silver energy coming off of the arrow in small specks, floating up into the air like embers from fire.

My eyes met his and we stayed like that for a few seconds, neither one of us moving, before I swung my daggers around, letting the arrow clatter to the floor as I connected them back into a katana.

"Be careful what you say," I said as I turned around and sheathed my katana, walking towards the stairs, "Because some words can't be taken back."

And now, I sigh in a somewhat amused state at my current position, I can't get his words out of my head. He sounded like him. Of course he did. Meanwhile, Reece is taking as long as he possibly can to get back here, or, at least, it seems like it. Either way, it's beginning to worry me. Reece has always been there for me, ever since we were little. He was there for me when my mom ran away and he was there for me years later when my father was taken by White Rabbit for being with my mother, a Supernatural. And I was there for him when his alcoholic father would abuse their mother, would treat them all terribly, and Reece's fighting only made it worse, but he didn't care. I admired that. He didn't care how much he got hit or how much he was beaten or how often he was yelled at as long as he could take care of his mother and his little brother. I don't blame his mother for being afraid of their father, despite being Supernatural as well, but not only was his father Supernatural too, but he was a main part of the Yakuza. We were always there for each other, and when he lost Midnight, it was hard for him, but he tried not to show it. That's just the way he is, the way he always is.

I check my phone once more before sighing and standing up from my plush, black and dark magenta bed, the wooden posts that hold the black canopy with see-through light pink curtains that are tied to the posts with black ribbons having black wire wrapping around them in elegant designs. My feet press against the soft, black carpet and I stare at the dark cobalt colored walls. I walk towards the door and run my hand along the black bookshelf against the wall, which is beside my black vanity that has a pink candle with rose petals in it resting on it, skimming over a few of the spines of the books residing within it, before putting my phone in the pocket of my jacket and opening the door, heading towards the bathroom.

Right as I go to open the door to the bathroom, I find myself surprised whenever it opens by itself and I find Jace standing on the other side, his dark brown hair slightly dripping and a black towel wrapped around his waist. His dark blue eyes widen upon seeing me and I take a moment to keep my gaze focused on his eyes instead of his lovely, toned body and v-line.

Yummy. Wait, what?

"Sorry, erm," Jace pauses in slight horror and embarrassment, a light pink dusting across the bridge of his nose and his cheeks, "I just figured I should take a shower before I head out..."

I blink at him a few times as we stand there in silence, Jace shifting around from foot to foot uncomfortably before clearing his throat.

"It's...don't worry about it," I assure him, "I was just going to take a shower to clear my thoughts."

Looks like that won't be happening any time soon.

"If you say--"

"Clattonia!" Indigo comes running towards us, her eyes widening slightly upon seeing us, "Come quick. Reece is back, and he's not alone, but um, if you're busy..."

"No," I say a little too quickly and somewhat harshly, "I mean, I'm not busy. I'm coming."

Indigo nods before running back down the hall to where she came from.

"Is this something I should be present at?" Jace asks and I turn my gaze back to him once more.

"Yeah, just in case," I nod, "I wouldn't want you missing anything vital."

"Alright," Jace nods in response, "I'll go get dressed and hurry out to you."

"Good."

Jeez...I sigh as I turn around and walk back down the hallway. Don't say it like that, idiot.

As I round the corner and enter the main room, I find the others, including Kai and the Berndtsson twins, standing around Reece. My eyebrows lift in surprise when I see a short, pale girl with dark blue hair and dark brown eyes standing next to him.

"Are you Clattonia Cessair?" The girl asks once the room is completely silent.

"Yes, and who are you?" I raise a brow at the girl and cross my arms.

"Essence Kaori."