Chapter 25: Razir

JACE

I watch as Caliber is lying on her stomach on the training room floor and pulls the handle back on her M-107 sniper rifle before pulling the trigger, a bullet flying out of the chamber as she fires another shot which whizzes through the air with ripples of wind spiraling around it in a criss-crossing motion, sharp edged pieces of metal shooting out from around the base of the bullet and wrapping around the bullet in the way that flower petals would close at nighttime right before the bullet makes contact with Katsuro's shield, who jumps in front of Juniper to block the bullet as Juniper swirls around her spear staff and it snaps back into a pair of daggers that are golden at the base and fade into a burnt brown ombre near the edges with tints of red and are connected by a chain.

Meanwhile, Labyrinth flies at Juniper with her scimitars and Caliber fires another bullet, Katsuro moving to cover Juniper once again as his broadsword materializes and Juniper fends off Labyrinth, sending her back sliding on her feet several feet away.

"Have you learned anything yet?" Clattonia asks from beside me.

"Well," I glance at the BCP and take my eyes away from the battle scene itself, "Caliber's Shift is Paragon Seido, which means perfect precision, which makes sense with her skills as a marksman and a sharpshooter. Labyrinth's Shift is Hantei, which means Judgement, and it seems to me that it fits her because she judges people as she sees fit, making me think that her morals could be what makes her judgements on the battle field as well instead of just judgements and that it would be hard for someone to escape her wrath. Juniper's Shift is Ethereal Helixia and I know that she specializes in nature and healing, but I feel like there's something that I don't quite understand yet with her powers. And Katsuro's Shift is Polarity, which allows him to quickly retrieve his shield and control where it goes to an extent, as well his weapons, and  where his opponents hits land if they're using things with metal components. He also seems to have a protective energy, almost as if he himself is a shield."

"Katsuro is capable of projecting his aura energy out as if it were a shield and he can control the area that it goes to. He could project it into his shield as well if he wanted to, so yes, in a way, he can be like a shield as well," Clattonia explains, "And you're also right about Caliber and Labyrinth. Sometimes Labyrinth can be a bit too harsh or impulsive based on her quick and rash judgements. And as for Juniper, yes, there is something quite special about her and she's quite powerful as it is, but there's something hidden deep within her still."

I smile, feeling proud that I had gathered so much information after only watching their battle for ten minutes after Clattonia suggested that we come and watch their training match. She said that it would help me get more familiar with their combat styles and the way that they function together as well as individually. Clattonia explained that Caliber and Labyrinth usually train together while Juniper and Katsuro train together most of the time and that right now they're doing a two on two match.

"And what about you?" I ask as I glance over at her.

"Hm?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Whenever we fought, the BCP was off, so I didn't get to learn what your Shift is called and you did a really good job at making it discreet," I explain, "What is it? If you don't mind me asking."

"You'll just have to wait and find out," Clattonia sends me a sly smile and I swallow nervously.

After a few moments, my phone rings and I fish it out of my pocket, sighing when I see that it's Asylum.

"Yeah?" I ask as I pick up and I notice out of the corner of my eye that Clattonia glances at me.

"You need to come back to work," Asylum says, "I'm drowning over here. And what the hell is all that noise in the background?"