Chapter 45: Sun, Stars, and Moon

JACE

"What happened? Where's my sister?" Lucian asks as we enter the apartment without Rai and Daemon.

"Rai took him to the hospital to get medical attention," Clattonia says as the others begin to come into the main room, "he was shot in the shoulder. We ran in to Minjonet and White Rabbit. We also managed to find Minjonet's package."

"Reece!" Juniper gasps and runs up to him, examining his arm worriedly, "you were hurt."

"I'm fine," Reece brushes it off, "honestly."

As we stand there in Rai's living room, everything around me seems faded out of distance, almost as if everything seems underwater as I stand there in shock from what just occurred. In the background, I can faintly make out Clattonia explaining Minonet's death and all that conspired, but it doesn't really sink in for me.

"Okay," Lucian starts, "but we have another problem."

"Problem?" Clattonia raises a brow, "what problem?"

"Well--" Lucian starts.

"Surprise!" Aeryn beams as she runs out from one of the bedrooms and throws an arm around Lucian's shoulder, who glances at her and makes a noise mixed with surprise and annoyance.

"Aeryn?" Reece raises his eyebrows in surprise, "what are you doing here?"

"I was about to explain that," Lucian grumbles.

"I decided that you guys couldn't just leave me behind, so I decided to come with," Aeryn continues to beam, "after all, what would you be without your princess?"

"I wouldn't call you a princess..." Kazuki snorts, but trails off upon receiving a glare from her.

"Shut it, Rin. Don't act like you're vindicated now," Aeryn snaps and places a hand on her hip.

Kazuki scoffs to himself and glances to the side, crossing his arms while, if you look closely, the guilt and pain in his eyes is evident.

"Aeryn," Mitsuko frowns slightly, "there's no need to be so harsh."

"What?" Aeryn's eyes widen in surprise and she looks over at Kazuki's half sister in blatant surprise, "but--"

"Mitsuko is right," Ryouichi starts, "what matters is his actions in the present. He hasn't betrayed any of you yet since you captured him. He didn't have to stay. He could have easily left upon spotting an outing."

"You always were a ray of forgiving sunshine, weren't you?" Aeryn sighs.

Ryouichi smiles at the comment while Mitsuko lets out a small laugh, nudging Ryouichi in the ribs gently.

"Clattonia," Juniper starts and gains her attention, "Katsuro messaged me and told me that they're almost finished with securing everything. He and the others have been following my instructions on the process of making the deterrents."

"Good," Clattonia nods in approval and Juniper smiles slightly.

"What should our next move be?" Caliber asks.

"We're going to wait until tomorrow to try and find Jace's father himself and figure out what his plans are," Clattonia says, slightly snapping me out of my trance upon hearing my name, "we may have figured out Minjonet's motive and what she had Kazuki transport for her, as well as eliminate her, but White Rabbit will be on high alert now. We should lay low for the night and wait for Rai to get back. In the meantime, Reece, you should have your arm attended to. I know you claim that it isn't that bad, but I can't have you in bad condition when it comes to tomorrow. I'm concerned for your well being too, you know. So, stop being so stubborn and go get treated for it."