Chapter 35: In Which Words Are Not Needed

ESSENCE

I run through the back yard, chasing after my ball that I accidentally kicked too far. I smile as I chase after it, enjoying the feel of the summer sun and the breeze that floats through the oak tree that's by the light brown, wooden, picket fence that surrounds my house. The dark green grass hums with life as I race across it, arms outstretched to catch my yellow ball as it bounces further and further away from me. I finally catch it whenever I reach my dark, wooden, back porch. I stand on the bottom of the two stairs and I tilt my head to the side as I look through the white screen door and realize that the front door is hanging wide open. I place my ball against my hip after climbing up to the door and carefully yet skillfully manage to open the screen door while keeping my ball from dropping back onto the porch. I cautiously peek inside before taking a few steps inside, still carrying my ball with me. As I round the right corner into the kitchen, my eyes widen in surprise whenever I see bloody footprints and smears spread out across the tan, tile floor, which trail over to the left and into the living room. I slowly creep around the corner and the ball drops from my side and lands on the white carpet of the living room, settling in a puddle of blood, whenever I see blood splattered and smeared all over the walls. Lines and hand prints of blood trail along the wall as if someone were dragging themself away from the living room in a clumsy, hurried, and panicked manner.

"Mama?" I call out quietly, "Papa?"

"Your parents can't save you now," A woman with dark green hair in a messy bun with chopsticks says as she appears in the doorway wearing a white lab coat, her frenzied hazel eyes watching me from behind her red framed glasses as a slow, psychotic smile spreads up her face, "come here and contribute to science!"

"No!" I shout and run the other direction, the woman beginning to chase me as I race throughout the house.

I climb up the white, carpeted stairs hurriedly as I run upstairs and past the window that resides at the top, turning to the right to find my father bloody, tied up, and hanging from the ceiling fan with disheveled and torn clothes. I go to scream, but nothing comes out of my lungs. Instead, I keep running in fear, adrenaline taking over as my legs go numb and I scramble to get out of the house. I run to the bathroom and find my mother lying on the floor, stabbed to death, as blood surrounds her on the floor, messy hand prints smeared all over the sink and cabinet as if she were trying to hoist herself up to get to my father before she died. I open the window without thinking and climb out onto the roof, quickly running down the slope of the tiles and jumping off, landing on the pathway to my house before taking off in a sprint down the street.

"Gotta get away, gotta get away, gotta get away," I frantically cry to myself as I continue to stumble through the streets in broad daylight, passersby watching me with wide and shocked eyes, one young brunette wearing pink and yellow sunglasses raising a hand to her mouth and whispering as she leaned into her partner's side and cradled her shopping bags in her other arm, her partner looking visibly disturbed and he seemed compelled to want to help me, but he did nothing as I raced passed.

"Stay away, stay away, stay away!" I shout as I look over my shoulder to find the woman still chasing me with that crazed and deranged expression on her face.

"Stay away!" I scream and bolt upright in bed, breathing heavily.

I shake as I climb out of bed, my mind feeling somewhat numb and my senses all feeling heightened. I walk towards the door, my feet carrying me across the room without me telling them to, almost as if they know where I want to go, where I need to go. I walk down the hallway and find myself at Reece's bedroom door, biting my lip nervously as my hand reaches out and twists the doorknob, the resounding click signaling that it's now open. I gently push open the door and spot Reece lying on his bed with dark blue sheets, his chiseled chest rising and falling in his sleep as he lays there in grey sweatpants. I quietly walk over towards his bed and before I can even say anything, he raises his head and sits up slightly, his breath hitching.

"Essence?" He says huskily, his voice sounding slightly rougher and deeper than usual, "what are you doing here?"

I stand there, slightly shaking as I stare down at him and he furrows his eyebrows, sensing that something's wrong.

"R--Reece," I stammer and he fully sits up now, leaning closer to examine my appearance and my expression.

His eyes soften upon taking in my appearance and he reaches out to me, coaxing me closer until I fall into his strong arms and he holds me against his chest, his warmth seeping into me and radiating off of him as his arms encircle me protectively.

"Hey," He says softly and moves one of his hands to stroke my hair, "I don't know what's wrong or what happened, and you don't have to tell me about it if you don't want to, okay? But, for right now, just stay here with me. I promise I'll protect you. I won't let you go, Essence, got that?"

I nod and he places his chin on top of my head, moving his arm back to wrap around my waist possessively as he pulls me even closer so that I'm flush against him, both of his arms holding and cradling me against his body. I bury my face in his chest and wrap one of my arms around his back, threading one of my legs between his as we lay there and I begin to drift off to sleep as I slip into a state of calmness from his intoxicating, protective, strong, and comforting presence.

"I'll never let you go," He says quietly as I find myself falling asleep and drifting off.

"So safe," I mumble in my sleep-like state, snuggling closer into his chest.

And the last thing I hear before I fall asleep is Reece softly hum in contentment as one of his hands traces comforting circles on my back.