Chapter 55: Of Future Engagements

REECE

CLATTONIA (13: 41) -- I ran into a slight delay. Jace and I are going to be late, but it isn't anything to worry about. I'll text you on our way back.

I frown slightly as I read Clattonia's message and Essence tilts her head to the side as she watches me, a confused expression forming on her face.

"What's wrong?" Essence asks.

"Clattonia was supposed to get back in a half hour, but she texted me saying that something came up," I explain, "she told me not to worry about it, but she's just like me, and that's what worries me because I know what she's capable of."

"Well, then it's probably fine," Essence sighs and puts her arms around me from behind, resting her chin on my shoulder, "you know Clattonia and you're both perfectly capable of handling yourselves."

"Yeah," I say, "and I also know that she tends to take on more than she should handle."

"But she usually gets it done, doesn't she?" Essence asks.

"I guess you're right," I sigh and turn the hologram on my watch off.

A few seconds later, the front door opens to reveal Labyrinth standing next to Cassidy, who is holding the hand of a little girl with long hair so blond that it's almost white and it has streaks of golden blond running throughout it and she has bright red eyes.

"Larissa!" Cassidy shouts whenever the girl's eyes widen and she runs over to me and Essence, beaming.

Larissa reaches her arms up towards me as she stands there looking up at me and I exchange a glance with Essence, who laughs and swings herself around me.

"She wants you to pick her up," Essence chuckles.

"I know that," I glance pointedly at her, "it's just..."

My eyes flicker over to Cassidy, who narrows his eyes at me and crosses his arms, but he doesn't verbally protest. I shrug before reaching down and picking Larissa up, who smiles at me and pokes my nose. A smile works its way onto my face and Essence watches the scene fondly.

"This is my little sister, Larissa," Cassidy states apprehensively as he walks in with Labyrinth, "she's able to edit the fabric of reality..."

"Your little sister is a Supernatural?" I raise my eyebrows at Cassidy before glancing back down at Larissa.

"Yeah..." Cassidy trails off as he rubs the side of his arm, his eyes flickering away before meeting mine again, "don't say what I think you're about to say. I know. I come from a Supernatural family and yet I'm an assassin for White Rabbit. My mother and her brother were both Supernatural, so was one of my dad's sisters, but my dad and his other sister weren't. My mom's brother lives in London as an investigator and one of my dad's sisters died. The other one lives somewhere in America now as a journalist."

"And you didn't inherit any Supernatural abilities, am I right?" I ask.

"Yeah," Cassidy shrugs, "it's not a big deal. My other little sister was human and my older brother was a Supernatural."

Even though Essence and I already know what happened to Cassidy's parents and his siblings, neither of us say anything, because he technically isn't aware that we overheard him talking to Labyrinth.

"Um, anyway," Labyrinth clears her throat, "let's go take her to one of the guest rooms and get her set up. She can have some food in the kitchen first if she wants."

"Food!" Larissa shouts and her eyes widen at the prospect as she tries to wriggle out of my arms, smiling as she drops to the floor and runs off towards the kitchen in her white dress and ruby slippers, her silver bangles dangling on her right arm with her ruby woven bracelet that's tied.

Cassidy sighs and walks to the kitchen, chasing after her. Meanwhile, Labyrinth meets my eyes and nods before she follows him.

"What was that about?" Essence tilts her head slightly and furrows her eyebrows, her lips going into a slight frown in confusion.

"Apparently, she knew we were there last night," I say, turning to face Essence.

"Huh," Essence muses out, "did that mean she was grateful that we didn't say anything?"

"Yeah," I nod, "I guess so."

"You know," Essence starts, "I think she really likes you. It's cute."

"Hm?" I raise a brow at her, "yeah, well, I never said that I was good with little kids."

"No," Essence shakes her head, smiling in an amused manner, "but you do take care of your mom and you always looked after your little brother whenever he was still around. That counts for something."

"Are you trying to say that I'd be a great father?" I raise my eyebrows at her.

"Maybe," Essence shrugs and walks off towards her room, glancing back at me over her shoulder as she does so, a smile splaying at her lips, "who knows."

"Maybe," I smile slightly to myself, "one day..."

After all, Essence would be the perfect mother to be beside me.

"I really do love that girl," I sigh aloud.

"And when are you going to tell her that?" Juniper muses from behind me and I jump slightly, startled.

I whirl around to face her and she rocks back and forth on her heels innocently.

"How long were you standing there?" I ask, feeling slightly embarrassed.

"Long enough to hear you say that you love Essence," Juniper giggles slightly, placing a hand to her lips, "seriously, though. You should tell her that yourself. I'm sure she'd love to hear it."

"I, um," I rub the back of my neck nervously, "I was actually going to plan something special for her after I finished making up our next plans on what to do next. Clattonia was supposed to go over them with me whenever she got back, but she's running late."

"Aww," Juniper smiles, "that's really sweet. You should do it. You two deserve to be happy and have a little date night."

"Yeah," I sigh, "I think that all of us could use a little bit of fun right now."

"You know," Juniper holds up her hands and waves her fingers around, showing me a silver ring that has cursive words engraved into it, "Katsuro gave me this whenever we got back from our trip to Tokyo. That was whenever he officially asked me out. I know that you and Essence are already dating, but it would be a sweet gesture to get her something sentimental."

"Yeah," I nod, smiling slightly and ruffling Juniper's hair, "yeah. Thanks. I was going to do something like that, but having you tell me that's it a good idea is helpful."

"No problem," Juniper smiles back at me before I head off towards my room and Juniper sits down in the living room to watch TV.

"Sentimental," I nod as I reach my room, twisting the doorknob open, "okay. Yeah, I can do sentimental..."