Chapter 4: Don't Act Like You're Sorry

CLATTONIA

"You never told me your name," Jace says as I lead him to my hideout.

I roll my eyes and refrain from sighing at this inconvenience. I could've just killed him, but I don't harm the innocent. Then again, he is expected to work for White Rabbit, and he's Daylen's son. However, I suspect there's something different in him. If it weren't my best option, I wouldn't be taking him with me.

"It's Clattonia Cessair," I say as I continue to walk down narrow streets and avoid passerbys.

"Do you know who started the attack?" He asks.

"No," I reply bluntly as we round a corner sharply, my black boots with buckles on the sides stepping through a puddle from a previous storm.

"What do you want with me?" He questions.

"Look," I snap and whirl around, placing my hands on my hips in the process, "You can either come with me, or I can leave you for dead in the streets after stabbing you. Your choice."

He pauses for a few moments before clenching his jaw and nodding, signaling for me to take him with me. I grab ahold of his wrist once more and continue to lead him through the city until we reach the hideout. Once we enter through the door, which is painted a dark grey color with a few boards hiding the entrance, Reece clenches his jaw and reaches for his dagger, his eyes focused on Jace. The others sit there in silence as they each look at Jace, forming their own opinions.

"Reece, it's okay," I say and he glances between me and Jace before deciding not to pull his dagger out, going back to having his arms crossed instead.

"Who is he?" Reece asks.

"I'm Jace," Jace says and watches Reece cautiously.

"I wasn't asking you," Reece says coldly.

"He's Jace Athens," I say and Juniper gasps, "Son of Daylen Athens. He was in the market with some others whenever there was another attack. I could tell the others work for White Rabbit, so I assumed he does, but he doesn't."

"So, why is he here?" Reece raises a brow.

"He could be useful in helping us get information," I say.

"What makes you think I'm going to help you?" Jace raises his eyebrows in surprise and takes a few steps backwards, "I don't even know any of you. And I don't know what you're doing. All I know is that you're..."

"That we're what, Jace?" I raise a brow at him.

His eyes search mine as he stumbles over his words in his mind, seeming hesitant to call us monsters.

"Different..." He finishes.

Reece snorts and Juniper runs over to Jace.

"You're Jace Athens!" Juniper says with wide eyes and she holds her hands up in a begging manner, "Please help us! I've seen you on TV from time to time with your father. Oh, please! I know you're different from the others! And your skills are amazing!"

"Juniper --" Reece starts.

"He won't hurt her," Lucian says, interrupting Reece.

"I..." Jace trails off as he watches the pleading, hopeful girl in front of him, "I can't just trust you...I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" I snort, "What do you have to be sorry for? What do you care? Don't act like you're actually sorry just because you want to be nice. You called us different, didn't you? Never ridicule the different for being different. Who doesn't want to be unique? If you aren't your own person, then you aren't anything at all. Never ridicule those who are different, for you never fully see everything, because not everything is always shown. You have to look for it. You want to know what we're doing here, don't you? Then why don't you stick around long enough to find out? I'm not saying I trust you, but don't you want to help people? Isn't that what you were trained to do your entire life? If you truly want to help people, then you'll stay. If not, then you can just go because the sight of you will sicken me."

"Don't act like you know me," Jace says coldly.

"Then don't act like you know us, either," I retort.

A knowing look makes its way onto Reece's face and he chuckles slightly.

"There's my Clattonia," Reece mutters.

Jace pauses for a few moments before sighing and running a hand through his hair.

"I'll think about it," Jace says as his eyes search mine.

"That's the answer I was looking for," I nod, "Honesty."

"Thank you!" Juniper beams and hugs Jace, whose eyes widen in surprise, but he eventually hugs her back after getting over his surprise.

"If you want to leave Indigo can walk you back to the market, since you probably aren't entirely sure how to get back," I say.

"Yeah," Indigo nods shyly, "I need to go into town anyways."

"Here," I say and walk over to a nearby coffee table with a notepad and a pen, scribbling my number down on it and walking back over to Jace before handing it to him, "If you do decide to help us, call me."

Jace nods and Indigo walks over to him, the two of them then leaving the hideout.

"Was that really a good idea?" Reece raises a brow, "Bringing him here? How do you know he won't betray us?"

"He won't," I say as I glance off to the side, hoping that I'm right, "And if he does, then he'll pay with his life."