Chapter 5: I Don't Play in the Rain Anymore

ESSENCE

I run through the city for a while, my white boots stomping through puddles as I occasionally glance over my shoulder. I come upon an alleyway and I swing around the corner, pressing my back up against the brick wall before glancing out over the edge of the building. After quickly checking to make sure nobody's following me, I go back to resting against the wall, adjusting my dark blue jacket and wiping a dirt smudge off of the front of my white shorts.

"That was close," I whisper.

Earlier this morning I ran into Jace Athens and his friends who work for White Rabbit. The only reason I knew who he was is because I constantly pay attention to my surroundings. I have to, otherwise I could die at any moment. It's not like I want to be constantly paranoid or on the run, but ever since my parents died I've been on my own, hunted by White Rabbit like the rest of the supernatural population. I've always wanted to make friends, but I'm too shy and too afraid to ever stop running.

After a few more minutes of hiding, I make my way back onto the streets and cautiously look around as I head towards a nearby diner. I sigh in relief whenever I safely reach the diner and pull on the metal bar, opening the glass door and stepping inside the diner with black and red checkered floors, black walls, strands of lights hanging on the walls with red roses that glow, as well as little white orbs that radiate light, and several booths on the right and left sides of the diner that have white seats and granite tables. I make my way over to a table on the right side of the diner, taking a seat in one of the very last booths in the back and focusing on the TV as a worker wipes down the counter.

"It appears that way, Mr. Taylors," A woman with a mic says as she stands in front of city hall, smoke rising in the background, "A seventeen year old monster who goes by the name 'Misery' has attacked city hall, as well as many other buildings in Selkie Market. Here with us we have Aether, an agent from White Rabbit who heroically ran into danger and managed to diffuse Misery's plans. Aether, would you like to comment?"

"Sure," Aether grins and takes the mic before grinning, "Hey there! I'm Aether and I work to keep our city safe! It's not an easy job, but it has its benefits."

"How did you manage to thwart Misery's plans, Aether?" The woman takes the mic back and asks.

"Well," Aether grins, "As long as I have my pistol and my sharpshooter skills, anything's possible. I'll do anything to rid the world of those disgraceful beings."

Aether winks and points at the camera before the reporter dismisses him away.

"My, my!" The reporter giggles, "Well, I'm sure many of our viewers enjoyed the nice eye candy. After all, who could resist such a young, handsome hero?"

"He seems a bit full of himself, actually," I sigh to myself as I lean my face against my right hand and lay my left arm on the table.

"Coffee, miss?"

I jump in surprise whenever I notice the waitress standing in front of my booth. I smile sheepishly and nod, the waitress then scribbling down the order on her notepad and walking to the kitchen. My eyes drift back down to staring at the table as I wait for my order, hoping I don't attract any attention.

"You really didn't have to come with me," A feminine voice says in a shy manner, making me raise my head to see a lavender haired girl and a boy with multi-colored hair.

"Sure I did! Don't worry about it, Indigo," The boy says as the two approach the counter.

"Wasn't it troublesome to chase after me?" Indigo asks quietly.

"Nah," The boy grins, "I was actually kind of hoping to catch our new potential friend too, but he was gone by the time I reached you both. I guess that's what I get for waiting too long."

"So, it really isn't a bother to you, Ink?" Indigo frowns slightly and watches him worriedly.

"Of course it isn't," Ink, the boy, grins and throws an arm around the girl's shoulders as they stand in front of the cashier.

"One box of cinnamon rolls and two coffees," The cashier says and places the box of cinnamon rolls on the counter with their coffees, "That'll be eighteen fifty. Our products are temporarily on sale due to a recent shipment."

Ink reaches into his pocket and pulls out his wallet, taking out a twenty and handing it to the cashier.

"You didn't have to do that," Indigo says and Ink smiles.

"I know, but I wanted to," Ink says as he gathers the rest of his money from the cashier and Indigo takes the coffees.

"Thank you," Indigo smiles and Ink takes the box of cinnamon rolls before the two of them head back out of the diner.

"Indigo and Ink, hmm?" I mumble as the waitress brings over my coffee.

I drink my coffee as I stare out the window, watching as rain starts to fall and stream down the glass. A small smile makes its way on my face as I watch the rain continue to fall and the way puddles ripple and splash when new rain falls into them.

"Essence, if you keep playing in the water at this rate you'll catch a cold!" My mom scolded while a worried look made its way onto her face.

"Ah, let her be," My father chuckled, "She needs to be a kid while she still can."

My mom sighed and rang out her dark blue locks, which were wet from the heavy rain, her brown eyes watching me in the process. Meanwhile, my father's black hair was also fairly soaked, but his blue eyes were watching me in amusement.

"Don't worry, Mother," I say quietly as I watch the downpour, "I don't play in the rain anymore."