Chapter Four

I jolted awake, as a scream was heard echoing through the halls. With barely enough time to think, I jumped out of bed and ran down the staircase, giving no though to my appearance, just concerned for what I would be walking into.

"Get away from the body!" Montgomery ordered, as he pushed past the crowd.

As the crowd moved, it was clear to see that the first death had taken place, with one of the vampires hanging from the wall, with a stake in her chest and longer stake in her neck to keep her in place.

I covered my mouth at the sight of it and looked around, seeing that my shocked expression matched everyone else.

"I said get away from the body!" Montgomery yelled, as the crowd backed away further.

Whispers were heard among the guests.

"Allan, take her body down, now" Montgomery said, walking away.

He started walking upstairs, most likely to his office and I followed behind him, keeping up with his long steps.

"Close the door behind you" he said, taking a seat at his desk and placing his head in his hands.

I closed the door and approached the desk.

"How did we not hear this attack taking place in the evening?" he said, letting out a groan.

I sat down in front of the desk "Montgomery, this was not a personal attack by the P'yushchego Vampirov, because they cannot get access into our home"

He looked at me "They must have someone working for them, someone to help them make personal attacks on our home"

"I hate to agree, but it is the only thing to make sense" I said.

"With the first attack being made, I believe we can both agree that the second will take place sooner rather than later"

I nodded in agreement.

"I must encourage you not to announce that there may be a traitor among us, because it could just start more problems and then no one will ever allow themselves to put trust in one another" I stood up "I request your permission to speak to Tinsley about casting a protection spell directed towards the remaining P'yushchego Vampirov, so that they may not step foot on our lands"

He nodded "You have my permission, but it will not do much if there is a traitor in this home"

"I am aware, but that does not mean we do not need to increase security on our home" I said.

"I am going to speak to the shapeshifters about making sure that two are patrolling the grounds every evening, when they are most likely to attack next" he said, standing.

I nodded "I will go speak to Tinsley now and I will report back to you"

I left the office and quickly made it down to the second floor, knocking on Tinsley's door, while seeing a few others cleaning up the mess from Isadora's attack.

Langston opened the door and smiled up at me "Hi, Miss Cordelia"

"Please, do come in" Tinsley said, waving at me, as she stood next to Ava and Georgina.

"I must request something from you, because there is no other group of witches that I trust more" I said.

"What is it?" Georgina asked.

"I need one of you to cast a new protection spell over our grounds, a spell that will prevent the known P'yushchego Vampirov from walking it" I said.

Ava gave a small nod "It is possible, but such a spell would require help from all the elements. It is a powerful and sadly, we only possess the elements of air and water"

Maisie quickly stepped forward "I can help, please let me"

Tinsley looked down at her "Dear, I appreciate your courage to step forward, but you are not yet strong enough with your element"

She frowned and walked back over to Langston, taking a seat on the bed.

I looked back at them "Is there any other witches that you have met here that you would trust with such a task?"

Ava nodded "From the Aeonian coven, I have grown to trust Tabitha Bexley. She lost her entire family in the destruction of her coven and she wants nothing more than to see the take down of the P'yushchego Vampirov"

"She has the element of fire, right?" Georgina asked.

"Yes" Ava confirmed.

"That just leaves earth. I have been speaking to the Eunoia coven and have learned that Timothy and Aloysius have gone above and beyond to make sure Audrey remains protected, because she is such a powerful witch a young age. She is blessed with earth and I am sure she would assist us with this" Tinsley said.

I gave a nod "Please, just make it happen, preferably before sunset, so that it can potentially stop anyone else from being hurt"

"Do you truly believe that this was an actually attack by them?" Ava asked.

I looked away "I cannot discuss that currently"

I left, going down the stairs once more, to empty library, hoping to take a moment of silence.

I closed the doors and walked away from the door, praying for a chance to process everything before the next problem arises.

The feeling of drowning was filling over me and it was as though my head had suddenly become an anchor, pulling me down further into the water.

I sunk to the ground and put my head against my knees, trying my best to relax and stop this feeling from taking over me.