Chapter Twenty

I was sitting on a bench, at the end of my bed, while Saskia brushed my hair, trying to make me look as though I was not just abused by Jakub.

"You must remain presentable, my doll" she said, continuing to brush my now ratty hair, as she continued to treat me like an old ragdoll.

"Why have you all turned into such vicious creatures?" I asked, desperate to understand how they were like this.

She set the brush down and ran her fingers through my hair "Once upon a time, witches plucked those who hunted them, out of their homes and from their families, only to turn them into monsters, made to be slaves; slaves who could do what they could not" she paused, letting go of my hair "However, just as god made man, we too found a way to turn on our creators"

Saskia almost sounded pained as she said such things.

"You said before that in order to be one of you all, you must feed from someone you love. Who did you all have to sacrifice?" I asked.

"Jakub killed his son and Lukas killed his mother" she answered. 

"And you?" I asked.

She picked up the brush once more, running it through loose tangles "My grandfather was one of the originals made by witches. My sister, Masha and I were sent from England to Russia, to stay with him, after the death of our father" she stood up and sat down opposite of me "On the night he was turned, he came home and turned both me and Masha, however, Masha died after Gabriel killed most of our members"

"Is that why you are so cold, due to your sister's death?" I asked.

She shook her head "No, I have always been this way"

"Why Russia though?"

"All the originals were from Russia, but once they scattered, it was almost poetic to only change those who were of Russian decent" she paused "Jakub was from England, while Lukas was actually born and raised in Russia, which is why he is the only one of us with an accent. He was from the last and most recent group to be turned"

"Do you even realize the terror you all cause or do you just enjoy being destructive monsters?" I asked, no longer caring about filtering my thoughts out loud.

She pulled back on my hair "You should learn to keep such things to yourself, especially if you want to live a long life here"

"You have already killed my spirit, why would I care to live longer than I have to?" I said, sitting up "Besides, I am now nothing but a vessel to you now, with no means to fight" I looked down "Isn't that what you all have been wanting from me anyway?"

"Follow" Saskia ordered, as she stood.

I followed behind her, knowing that we would be going back into the porcelain room, where I would have to witness another blood bath, watching her take her blood-filled jars and pour them into the tub, practically making love to herself inside of it.

I gasped at the sight of Hattie Russell hanging by her wrists, with a large steel bucket underneath her.

All I could do was look away, as I realized Rosalyn was cutting up Hattie's body, while she screamed in pain and agony.

"Please do not make me watch this" I begged, turning to Saskia.

Saskia smirked "Why? We are monsters after all" she started walking towards Hattie "Shouldn't we keep up appearances?"

I looked away, but Saskia grabbed my chin, turning me back.

"You do not get to ignore this" she said.

Rosalyn turned to Saskia "I know you need pure blood, but why did I have to do this?"

"Because you are just a vampire, here to earn your keep" Saskia answered "Keep going or find a new way to end her high pitched screams"

Rosalyn frowned, but picked up a stake and plunged it into Hattie's chest, making her cough up and spew blood across Rosalyn.

Rosalyn turned to me, smiling.

She knew that with Hattie being a witch, the stake would hurt her more, but end the screaming, just as Saskia asked.

Rosalyn and I were both fighting for our lives in here, only Rosalyn was willing to do anything to please them, while I begged for death each passing day.

Hattie's twitching ended and I watched as her blood poured out into the steel bucket, as Rosalyn cut open her stomach.

Saskia chuckled "Now empty the bucket into the tub" she looked to Rosalyn "Perhaps you are not useless decoration afterall"

Rosalyn smiled at the comment and picked up the bucket, no longer catching the small drips of blood still escaping Hattie's body.

Saskia turned to me "Remember, if there is anyone to blame for these deaths, it is you" she shook her head "Take responsibility for all of this"

I stared at Hattie's body, hanging there, with a towel underneath her to catch the remains.

"If you get anymore drops on the floor, I would lock you in the dungeon with the others!" Saskia complained, making Rosalyn get on the floor, wiping away the blood.

I never got to know Hattie and Saskia has made sure that I never did.