Chapter Forty

Ava and I were walking outside in the garden, discussing possible suspects for who the witch was.

"So, after getting to know the witches, there are only a few select who lost practically nothing when their coven fell apart" she explained, looking around for anyone who could be listening in "There's Margot Stroud, Helena Warner and Aloysius Thornton"

I nodded "And what makes them suspicious?"

"Well, Margot left her previous coven, because they did not have good intentions, which included leaving her younger sister behind" she took a seat on the bench, with me following "She found her coven a year later and has been there ever since, but she never had anyone close"

"Alright, isolation can be a giveaway" I smoothed out my skirt "And the others?"

"Helena was left behind has a child, because her father was terrified of her early signs of magic" she sighed "He was a very religious man and even tried to have someone perform an exorcism, but when it proved to be unsuccessful, he abandoned her in a forest" she explained, shaking her head.

"And Aloysius?" I asked.

She nodded "He was an orphan who ran away, unable to understand the power that he had and he lived in the woods, starting fires, until his coven found him, raising him and teaching him the art of his element"

"Has anyone come off as strange or suspicious?" I asked.

She shook her head "There are moments where Tabitha Bexley has appeared off around others, as though she has had little social interaction with others, but it could easily be wrong, since she wants to see the end of P'yushchego Vampirov, just as much as you"

"But it is strange that every witch she entered the manor with has now died, leaving her completely alone" I explained "But that could just as easily make her a target"

Ava nodded, agreeing "But the fact that her coven was targeted so quickly is questionable" she took a deep breath "On another note, after the attack from Samuel, Georgina is working on a new protection spell, but is also combining it with a locator spell, so that a glow will appear on the witch responsible for the deaths"

"How long will it take to accomplish that?" I asked.

"She has been working on it for days, because it will be the most powerful spell she has executed alone, but she is ready to perform it whenever you say so" she took a deep breath, as we both wondered just how we reached this point "If anyone can successfully do this, it will be her"

"Well, thank you for speaking with me about all of this and please inform me on any other things you see that could be considered suspicious" I said, watching her stand "And please tell Georgina that it could happen at any moment, so though I do not want her to become overwhelmed, I need her prepared"

She nodded "I will inform her and if you have any other questions, just ask either me or Kherington"

I smiled at her, as she walked away and I stood up, enjoying the nice weather before I had to go back indoors.

I spotted Killian lying in the grass, staring up at the sky, so I approached him, lying down next to him.

"How are you processing your power?" I asked.

He looked over at me "It has gotten better, especially since I no longer try to ignore the pain and suffering that others experience, as I did many times before in my previous vampire life"

"Would it be fine if I asked for a favor?" I asked.

He nodded.

"You are the only one I can ask of this, since Florence will not openly speak to me and-"

"It must be an empathy favor then, am I right?" he asked "You do realize that that I still have little control on things, right?"

"Yes, I am aware, but you are all I have right now" I explained "Please try?"

"I cannot promise anything, but go ahead" he answered.

"Alright, sit up then" I ordered, watching him following it "I want you to close your eyes and close out everything, except for the feelings of anger, pure anger- almost evil" I instructed.

He closed his eyes, taking everything in and soon began flinching from the pain "Why is it so strong!" he cried out, before letting out a scream and putting his hands on his head, rocking back and forth, before quickly standing "N-Never, ask me to do that again"

"What happened?" I asked, standing up beside him.

'"I-I do not know how, but I felt something evil" he said.

"Was it in the house?" I asked.

He slowly nodded "It was as if there was a fire building up inside of them, ready to explode"

"Thank you, Killian and I promise you that I will not ask you to do something that difficult again, until I know you can actually handle it"

I started walking away, but he quickly caught up with me.

"Should I worry?" he asked, before shaking his head "Should we all be worrying?"

"I am trying to prevent it as much as I can" I answered, walking away.

The witch hunt would be necessary if Killian could spot evil inside of the house, meaning I was not overreacting by wanting to hunt down the one responsible.