Chapter Twelve

I had been running as fast as I could through the forest, knowing that sooner, rather than later someone will discover that I am gone and in that time, I must already be at the castle.

I had to be before I was found.

After finding cover behind a thick tree, I pulled out the letter that had been given to me and examined the small map that had been drawn for me on the back.

I never would have thought that the location of their castle would be would so close.

It was so much closer than anyone of us had ever considered, nearly twenty-five miles from the coalition and the sun had already set, leaving me concerned for what was now lurking in the darkness around me.

I looked ahead, hearing the sound of crushing water and looked down at the map again, getting just enough light from the moon.

"I am now uncomfortably close" I whispered, realizing that their castle lies just ahead and I am past the point of no return.

This was it.

There was only the option to turn back and pray no one had noticed my disappearance, or continue on and give up whatever remains of my life.

There was only one reasonable option, even though I was screaming out to myself to turn around and find another way to help those who were taken.

It was heart over mind and it was a battle, but ultimately I knew which option would be the only one I'd truly consider.

As I continued forward, I gasped as I came across dozens of bodies, all belonging to dead vampires, leading like a trail to their castle.

They had been drained, tortured and left in such ghastly conditions.

I walked as slowly as I could, examining each body and making sure that there wasn't a single face that I recognized.

Part of me was relieved and saddened by the lack of familiar faces, all because I knew based on the conditions of these bodies, those I searched for had not been put out of their misery.

The bridge came up close and I noticed that outside of the forest behind the castle, the majority of the castle was surrounded by water, with only a bridge linking the entrance to where I stood.

Instead of taking the common way in, I walked into the water, gliding around the edge barely keeping my head above the top.

I could very easily be caught, but I was there for them anyway, the least they can do is allow me to see for a fact that no one associated to me was dead.

I reached the other end of the water and crawled back onto land, finding difficulty from the now noticeable weight from the weight dress.

There was candlelight noticeable from a small opening near the bottom of the castle. I slowly crawled closer, realizing that it was to the dungeon.

I could tell by the crying from inside and I knew that I must find a way inside.

The wind grew louder as snow started falling once again, leaving me now with blurry vision to find a back entrance.

A male scream erupted and I charged ahead, finding an extremely small staircase, leading into darkness once again.

It smelled of a mix between human blood and vampire blood, making me feel disgusted and overwhelmed.

As I reached the end of the stairs, I felt trapped as I squeezed through the cramped entrance, coming in contact with a view of cells and shelves, holding devices that I could only assume were for torturing those put down here.