Chapter Twenty- Three

The sun had been high in the sky for hours by the time we reached the manor, where nearly everyone was waiting to see who had survived and who would have to begin mourning.

Montgomery stood in front of everyone, ready to greet us, but everyone carried the same look of shock as they saw everyone covered in proof of what had happened at the castle.

Eyes were wondering as people looked over, trying to find answers to their questions.

"Cordelia" Montgomery said, lightly hugging me, while others went by.

I looked over, seeing just how hurt others were.

Timothy was being led by Aloysius and Audrey, who rushed to him after seeing his lack of sight.

"Oh, Timothy!" Audrey cried, hugging his arm.

Montgomery turned, getting the attention of Christine "Those who are badly injured, please meet Christine in the study, where I will be soon to try and heal you all"

We watched as Sandra was carefully taken into the house by Tabitha and Grace. She was injured, but it appeared more mentally than physically.

There was no doubt in me that the blood on her dress wasn't her own, but Saskia was twisted and knew how to harm someone without killing them.

Jemina ran to Rowan, pulling her into her arms, sobbing.

I knew she probably thought she'd never see her sister again and it brought my eyes to Florence, who was looking anxiously for Samuel.

"Please tell me you are alright?" Jemina said, checking Rowan for anything wrong.

Rowan pulled up her sleeves "They cut me"

Jemina shook her head and hugged her again.

Audrina rushed to Preston, who was begging for blood and as she handed it to him, he downed it so quickly that Audrina could barely react.

"Paul, help me get him inside!" Audrina called out, as Paul ran to her.

Claude and Kherington stepped forward, slowly, in shock.

"A-Alma?" Kherington asked.

She let out a sob and threw herself into Claude's arms, while Kherington continued to stare.

Florence quickly walked through the crowd, making her way to me and as Louis saw her, he protectively squeezed my hand.

"Where is Samuel?" she asked, looking behind us, as if we were hiding him.

"Also, where is Archibald?" Leo asked, following behind her.

I looked between the two, unsure of how to explain what had happened.

Louis and Heath both looked at me, knowing that I was speechless, unable to get any words out.

"T-They did not make it out of the castle alive" I said, trying to control my emotions, while both Florence and Leo listened.

As Florence heard the news, she started dropping to the ground.

Heath quickly grabbed her, collapsing down with her as he tried to comfort her.

I watched as Leo shook his head and slowly walked back into the manor, where I am sure he would grieve in quiet.

Florence let out a sob as Heath held her tightly.

Despite his attempts to comfort her, she roughly pushed him away, stumbling as she tried to get back on her feet.

"We were fighting because of you!" she sobbed, screaming at Heath "Now I get to live with the fact that my brother died thinking that I hated him!"

Heath stood, trying to walk to her, but she held up her hand, stopping him.

"D-Do not come near me!" she cried.

"Florence, darling, please" he begged, knowing that it will kill him not to help her through this.

I felt incredibly terrible, because they needed to think he was dead, because it was far better than the truth that he was now working with the enemy.

"Florence" he whispered.

She shook her head and ran back inside the manor, slamming the front door behind her.

Heath looked at me with sad eyes "What do I do?"

"Give her time, Heath" Montgomery said, patting him on the shoulder.

I looked over at Louis "Can I be taken to my room?"

He nodded and wrapped his arm around my waist, helping me inside.

Despite behind back, I knew that nothing was over and with recent developments, I was unsure how much worse it could get.

Christine left the office, as Montgomery entered it.

"Christine, please bring blood to Cordelia's room" Louis said, helping me up the stairs.

"Louis, I can barely move" I whispered, holding on to the railing.

I felt like nothing as he lifted me up to carry me up the stairs. Had I truly become this frail and fragile?

I rested my head against his chest, while he held me close.

"You're finally home, Cordelia" he whispered, while I closed my eyes, knowing that I would not be awake much longer.