Chapter Twenty- Seven

As I roamed the hallways, I felt like I only existed around here, without actually being here mentally.

The only thing I seemed to notice was the looks others were giving me, while I tried my best to ignore the pitiful exchanges.

"C-Cordelia?" Florence asked, as she approached me, looking so destroyed and fragile.

I could not stop looking at her, because it were as if all the colors that shined around her had turned to grey dreary skies that sulked above her.

"Yes, Florence?" I asked, immediately feeling the lump in my chest grow bigger.

Though I am not sure how, I had managed to avoid her around the manor, that is when I left my room, all because I wished to avoid this moment that was destined even without my effort.

"May we speak in private?" she asked, sounding as quiet as a mouse.

I nodded, following here into the library, where I knew the quiet would be short once her questions were finally answered.

She took a seat in a chair, opposite the couch where I chose to sit.

I watched as she fumbled with her hands, trying to find the courage to ask what I have dreaded to hear.

"You see, I cannot find a way to cope, because there is such a lack of closure" she began "I need answers"

I shook my head "Florence, you do not want answers, because it will be much worse"

Her eyes filled with tears "But I cannot even speak to Heath, let alone look at him, all because until I have my questions answered, I will continue to see him in such a negative light"

I had no idea how I was to begin to explain what had happened without giving her a false sense of hope, just because of what Gabriel was able to do.

She deserved answers though, there is no denying that, but I did not have the answers she wanted.

She wants to know that Samuel died quickly or that he died saving someone, a hero.

So how is it that I am to tell her that her brother died? But not in a way she was thinking of, because there is no denying that he is in fact long gone.

There was no escaping the truth that I knew and as soon as they made their next attack it will all be revealed, which may hurt her even more to see the truth rather than try to accept it early on.

"Cordelia, please?" she asked, quickly wiping away some of her tears.

I gave a small nod "Florence, Samuel is not dead"

She looked so stunned to hear me say that and stumbled over her words, trying to find the right ones to say "W-We must go and save him then!"

I shook my head "No, we cannot do anything to save him"

"What do you mean there is nothing we can do? We went there before to save you and the others, we can just do it again!"

I looked down, trying to find the courage to say what needed to be said.

"Florence, his is alive, but part of him is dead" I said, seeing the confusion fall over her face "They turned him into a P'yushchego Vampirov and because of that, he is no longer the Samuel we know and love"

She shook her head, taking in the information "I refuse to accept this! If this was you, Samuel would be insisting on a rescue mission!" she stood, looking as though she wanted to find something to hit "He will find a way back to me!"

I slowly stood, trying to find what to say next without making it worse "You do not understand"

"How?" she asked.

I looked at her confused "What do you mean?"

"How did this happen?" she asked, forcing herself to say the words.

I looked down, wishing to skip this step, but knew she would not let me leave without telling her "Rosalyn is fighting alongside them and-"

"Rosalyn?" she asked, amazed and then furious "Rosalyn!"

"Rosalyn told them that Samuel and I were involved, so they used that information to hurt me and to have a new member of their cult" I said, choking on the words.

Florence took a step back "S-So this is your fault"

I quickly shook my head "Florence, please do not view it that way"

She looked away from me "I cannot look at you"

I watched her leave, slamming the doors behind her, while I was left alone wondering if by telling the truth it meant I would lose her.

I sat down on the couch, trying to process everything, but all I could think of was that damn castle and all the deaths that happen inside of it and it felt like my thought process was on a loop that I could not stop.

I stood, beginning to pace around the room and took a glass object, throwing it at the wall, while I let out a frustrated scream.

This was all too much and Florence was only the beginning of the questions, because I knew there would be more.

Questions I would not be able to avoid.

Where would that leave me then?