Chapter Forty- Four

I entered my room, immediately collapsing against my vanity.

Despite how weak I felt, I needed to take on my responsibilities as second and I refused to let those who relied on me to see just how weak I was.

All I could do was groan as I stood up, opening my wardrobe, needing to find a dress to replace my robe.

Had I really entered Montgomery's office dressed in this?

"You really are awake" Louis spoke, entering my room.

I smiled softly at him, knowing that he was probably scared for me when I collapsed.

He wrapped his arms around me, holding me close as if he needed to feel me to know that I was in fact alright.

I looked up at him "Would you help me dress?"

He nodded "If you are still weak, I highly suggest that you stay in your bed"

"Absolutely not" I said, raising my arms as he lifted the dress over me.

"And why not?" he asked, placing the nightgown on the vanity.

I looked in the mirror, seeing the numerous bite marks and put his arms around me once more.

"Do not linger on them" he whispered.

I cleared my throat and reached into my wardrobe, pulling out the first dress that would cover me entirely "I do not want them continuing to wait on my arrival to hear of their fate" I turned to him, while he helped me into the dark red dress "Especially after what has happened to Langston"

"You have heard then" he said, fastening the buttons on my back.

I nodded, looking at myself in the mirror.

Whenever I was dressed I looked the part of a strong second, but without it, I am exposed for how weak I can become.

"This must be part of some new plot, because they could never actually kill a child" he said, moving my hair out of my face.

I shook my head "You do not understand, Louis. Langston is a pure blood and the main P'yushchego Vampirov has a sick addiction to bathin in the blood of pure blooded witches"

"Does Tinsley know of this?" he asked.

I leaned on him for support "No and I am unsure of whether or not to tell her, because all hope could be lost for her"

He took my hand "Is there anything that I can do?"

"I will just need your support now more than ever"

I felt comfort as he squeezed my hand and placed it to his lips, kissing it gently.

"I promised you that I would always stand beside you and now is no different than before" he assured me.

I gave a small nod as he helped me downstairs, where we quickly found everyone standing around the staircase as they had before, the other night.

Louis let go of my hand an stood with the others, while I placed my hand on the banister, placing all of my weight on it, to try and stay steady.

Montgomery looked to me to see if I was ready and I gave a nod in his direction.

"After the events that have taken place, I have decided to send a small group to Scotland" he announced, sending everyone into talks as they showed their surprise by this news.

"That is enough" I said, sending them back into silence "He is not finished, so there will be no discussion until he says so"

Montgomery cleared his throat "Cordelia and I will examine every gift from the vampires, to determine which will go and which will stay" he continued his gaze on the confused looks "We will do the same with each witches' strength, using those who are strong to aid us in our fight"

Everyone looked around nervously, unsure of how to actually react.

Gregory stepped forward "Do any of us get a say in who gets sent off?"

"I cannot stop those who wish to stay, but I hope you all will consider that if I choose to send any of you to Scotland, it is because we have faith that you can bring a new era to the coalition" Montgomery explained.

"Those sent will prepare the new manor for those who survive this war" I added.

"And, we understand that once this is over with, if you do not want to stay with us, we will understand and you can leave when you desire, but only after this is done and over with" Montgomery continued.

I stepped forward, almost slipping, but looked at the crowd, unaffected "I know every life is in danger as long as we fight, but as a whole, we can bring them down and I hope that those who stay will fight for a new way of life"

Many nodded in agreement to my words.

"We will fight for you" Timothy said, as he and Aloysius stepped forward.

Many followed their example and pledged their promise to fight with us.

They continued speaking amongst one another, discussing this new plan.

Montgomery leaned down to me "This is why I know the coalition will be left in good hands, if I am to die during this war"

I looked at him with wide eyes, never even considering that possibility.

Before I could respond, he looked out to the crowd "A decision will be made of who to send, but until then, I am having Paul, Louis, Allan and Heath going around, asking everyone questions regarding their powers" he stepped down "That is the end of this meeting, so you all may go about your business"

We watched as they left and went their separate ways.

As the crowd vanished, I carefully walked over to Tinsley, immediately hugging her "I am so sorry for what has happened"

She hugged me back, breathing hard, showing that she had barely taken a moment to stop her emotions from pouring out.

"Please, Cordelia, please put Maisie on the list of who goes to Scotland" she cried, pulling away from me "I cannot live if anything were to happen to her as well"

I nodded "I will make sure that Langston is returned to you, one way or another"

She hugged me once more, continuing to cry "I am turning to this coalition now more than ever"

I hugged her back, knowing that a body would have to be delivered back to her, whether there was a pulse or not.