My Sister Tried To Kill Me Before Breakfast (Jason)

POV: Jason

((@ the Arena in CHB))

I ducked and rolled, narrowly escaping the blade that would have slit my throat. My heart pounded hard on my chest. Gods of Olympus! I would die before I'd even have breakfast.

"Stand up!" She yelled at me, swinging her celestial bronze blade in a swipe that would have chopped off my head if I didn't hit the floor with a  hard thud.

"Augh." I groaned miserably as my chin kissed the sword's arena floor with a blast of pain. I tasted dirt on my lips. I couldn't remember doing anything wrong and my own sister was punishing me! "Thals!" I yelled while scampering out of her reach when I felt the wind around her moved as she came towards me.

Thalia, my older, immortal sister, was barely panting with effort while me? I was sweating up a storm. The only evidence that she had been hacking and trying to kill me was the strained, angry look in those bright blue eyes that were similar to mine.

I asked myself again. Now, what did I do wrong? And what is wrong with her?! I parried her slashes and dodged her stabs. Our meeting swords rang loudly in the morning air. I made a few attacks of my own but honestly, I was having a hard time looking for an opening. Thalia was coming at me like an angry overloading Zeus. "Thalia?" I tried getting her attention again. There was something obviously bothering her.

"Stop yammering, Jason and fight." She slashed. "You'll" She stabbed. "Be fighting" Another swipe to the head. "Giants" a faint to the right which thankfully, I saw because she aimed at my neck again. "And Gods!" She smacked the hilt of her sword at my chest and I stumbled backward. I quickly regained my footing and came in close to lock my gladius with her. "I can't have you dying on me on this quest, Jason. You need to train hard!" She said with seething anger and resentment.

Is she angry at me?

She pushed at me and I pushed back with equal force. It's all I could do, defend myself while she hacked at me like a sparing doll.

"The gods have taken you away before I could even become a good sister to you. You can't die before me at this quest, not before I have more time with you."

"Thalia... I promise I'll do my best to return alive." For a moment, there was a helpless look in her eyes, and for once, my mighty immortal sister seemed more mortal. Not a hunter, but my sister. There was a dull ache in my chest that I tried hard to ignore.  All those years of not knowing and not having a sister returned to me in one deep longing and regret for the wasted time. Now, I could understand my sister's frustration. It was my turn to charge. "You'll have to promise me too that you'd be here when I come back, Sis."

A single tear dropped on her luminescent cheek. Thalia smiled. "I promise to the river, Styx." She dipped low and hooked a leg on my feet, dragging me down face up on the floor. Suddenly, a sword point was at my throat. "Do me a favor little brother, be a hero. But please be a hero that still lives and everyone could congratulate after."

I grinned. Truly now grateful to have met Thalia again. "I'll do my best."

She took her sword away and pulled me up, and in my surprise, she took me in a hug. "You'd better or I'd come after you, even in the underworld." Thalia held my face between her hands, much like the way she did when we met for the first time after long estranged years on the mountain top. "I am sorry I have not been a better sister to you." She said with a sad smile.

"What are you talking about?"

My sister's thumb brushed over the small scar on my upper lip. "I can't even save you from a stapler." She said with a mocking laugh.

"It's not-" I tried to protest but she cut me off again.

"I should have looked for you harder when you disappeared."

"Thals, it's not-"

"And now, I can't do anything to save you from this terrible, dangerous fate."

I took her hands from my face and held it tight between mine. "It's not your fault." I stared at those sad eyes. I never knew she felt this way. When I met her, she had seemed to be a dream, a symbol of my past but not of my future family. After all, she has the hunters. The truth was I felt closer to Leo and Piper than my own sister. And I just accepted that, I accepted that we were related but with different families. But not anymore. I want her to be my family. "Don't blame yourself. I don't blame you." I said solemnly. "We'll have our chance to be a family again."

Thalia smiled, tears streaming down her eyes. I felt my eyes stinging too.

"And you can't do anything about our fate. We are, after all, children of the gods."

She snorted. "Yeah, yeah. It comes with the job."

We laughed, feeling the mood lighten. She held my face again, looking at me as if she's memorizing my face. I have already memorized hers. Then she bowed my head by the ear and kissed the top of my head.

"Be careful, little brother. Whatever you do, I am always proud of you." Then conch horn sounded from a distance.

With that she skipped away, leaving me with a happy feeling and also, the first feeling of reluctance to go back to my previous camp. I already felt comfortable at Camp Half Blood, and in here, I could often see my sister. In here, it almost felt like I was home.

*****

Some brotherly-sister love. They didn't have much family time in the books so i figured i'd give them one.