Settling in the Foreign Camp (Reyna)

POV: Reyna

((still at CHB...))

The build-off idea was magnificent and by the looks of the two soon-to-be roman quarters inside the Greek camp, well, I was very proud to say that things were doing quite well.

"Hank, pull the legacies of Minerva and Venus from the roof, I want them to start taking care of the beddings and linens. We'd have to prepare more beds as we have more boys. Chiron has already given us with supplies. Have someone from your cohort pick it up by the Big House." I stopped from hammering a wooden window panel to give orders to Hank, a centurion of the third cohort. "We are winning this thing." I added with a smile.

What we were building was a simple, high-ceiling, long bunker house that now stood near the right wing of the cabin houses. It has five rooms in it - one for each cohort, big enough to accommodate five four-decker bunk beds. It could easily house twenty legionnaires in one room.

We have already installed drywall for the interior of the bunker and had proceeded with painting. The first cohort, who I originally assigned to the building's structural framework has now moved on into making bunk beds from the woods the nymphs and satyrs gave us. They weren't free though. Each ply or block of wood - already perfectly cut and sanded by the way - we used has to be replaced by planting ten or more tree seedlings later. It's not a bad deal, they gave us the best type of wood there was. We just had to do some bit of gardening later.

"Yes Ma'am!" Hank saluted me happily and started to run off.

"And tell Larry to make sure that the roof was spotless. They say that the weather is controlled here and it doesn't rain but I wanted to be sure. I don't want an half-assed job."

"Yes boss!" And he scampered up to the ladder at the far side of the wall that I was working on.

I looked back after finishing my window to see how the Greeks were doing. They were almost in the same stage as us but what had me watching so mesmerized was the way they did things.

They didn't have a well ordered way of building things. People just ran around, doing their own stuffs. I would have laughed at such a messy process but it seemed to be doing well for the Greeks. There were mechanical automatons bringing in the woods and other bulky stuffs while the big boys did the other heavy manual labor like lifting, installing and hammering. I could also see a couple of kids waving some kind of stick and like magic, would lift things to where they wanted them - that honestly, was an awesome trick. Some girls ran around with an arm full of pink and fluffy fabric then started sewing things. Other kids also carried an equally pink and also fluffy rolls of what looked to me like wallpapers.

I winced. They were making the girl's bunk which meant that it's the bunk I'd be staying in. I didn't mind being in a pink room but the it's the fluffy things that made me uncomfortable. I hoped that they'd ease up the interior decor.

"Reyna. The paint has dried already and we have started placing the beds." Leila, a daughter of Vulcan and the other centurion of the first cohort came to me minutes later to report. "We also have dismantled the fort outside the borders of the camp and the fourth was taking all of our items here as we speak. Also about the eagles, I've talked to Chiron about it as you requested and he said he'd take care of it. He'll allow them inside the camp and the satyr could help them settle down in the forest."

"Ah, good. I was worried about them. And the horses? And Octavian?"

She grinned. "The horses are already fed and happily staying with the Pegasus at stables. Octavian was being closely guarded by the fifth. They are having him do the stuffing of the pillows, for the plush toys that he heartlessly gutted."