Kissing the Ghost of My Past (Thalia)

POV: Thalia

((Tehehe... I finally found the guy for Thals... :) @ Camp HalfBlood))

I wandered alone in the north woods of Camp Half Blood that night.

It was Lady Artemis' recent wish for us, hunters to stay at camp and help with the defenses against the Roman legion. So far, the Romans were still vigilantly waiting and bidding their time at the camp's borders, they too were gathering more allies and preparing more weapons. No one, not even Rachel, had any idea what they were waiting for. And so for weeks, the camp was on edge, constantly anticipating a sudden attack.

I breathed in the night air and gazed at the full moon that bathed everything in its silvery light. Artemis had gone silent too. Just like the other gods. It's been weeks since she last contacted us. Weeks since I had that peculiar visit from her...

...

Thalia.

"My Lady." I knelt and bowed my head. The goddess of the hunt appeared to me in her usual form - a little girl in hunters' clothes. She glowed silver before me.

We had camped for the night near the borders of Canada, still following the trail of Lycaon who had escaped from the wolf house. Being Artemis' lieutenant, I had my own tent. It wasn't big but it was spacious enough for at least five people to settle in.

Raise your head, lieutenant. I'm here for a friendly visit and also to deliver a warning.

"Huh?" Artemis knelt in front of me. She urged me to sit comfortably on the manticore hide that I used as beddings and took my hands in hers.

First of all, I want you to lead the hunters back to Camp Halfblood. They will be needing your help soon and I assume that you want to be there to protect it when the war breaks out.

I gave my goddess a grateful smile. She always knew what her hunters felt. She was the most perceptive, most gracious goddess, especially to us. "Yes." I admitted. It was one of the things that Artemis had wished of me before. Total honesty. "But what about Lycaon?"

He will find you and will meet you in battle next time, that much I could see. But following him now is futile.

I frowned at the way Artemis said you. Like it would be a solo fight.

"That's the warning then?" I asked losing the formality. Over the couple of years that I served her, Artemis had became more than a goddess to me. She became a good mentor and most of all a respected friend and a sister. I gained much from her infinite wisdom and also from the companionship she and the other hunters had offered. They were my extended family.

Yes and no. It is a warning. But that's not what I came to warn you about.

A shadow crossed her face. It was an expression that I only saw in her youthful face in great, dire times. Well, the giants were preparing war on the gods, I guessed that might be the reason why. "What is it, Artemis?"

My dear Thalia. You have served me well and I know your faith and loyalty to me is second to none. For that, I thank you as your sister and your goddess. However, you will soon arrive at another crossroad where the choices laid before you all demanded huge sacrifices and will result to great losses.

"Another big choice? I thought I was over that after the last war." I couldn't help to sound whiny for it was frustrating. The words sacrifices and losses didn't help either.

Everyone's path is full of choices, my lieutenant. But it is especially tricky when it comes to demigods. She reminded me lightly.

"I know, sorry. What's it about?"

That I do not know. I just wanted to tell you to let your heart and instincts take over in this decision. You think too much and this isn't a decision that could be chosen by logic. You are a true hunter and your heart is in the right place. Follow it.

"Artemis..." Why do I feel so down? Her words sounded depressing.

Be careful, Thalia. The road ahead of you is full of doors and decisions.

"Okay. I'll do my best in the decisions part."

You are courageous, smart and kind-hearted girl. I asked you before to be honest with me. Now I ask you to be even more honest with yourself. It's vital that you understand this.

I nodded my head, dazed at the goddess words.

Artemis stood.  We may not see each other for awhile. Father Zeus is preparing all the gods for the upcoming war. This war is bigger than any other war we gods had faced before.

Instinctively, my hand tightened on Artemis. Despite being a goddess, I knew she also needed to hear some reassurances, no matter how small, even if it came from mere demigods like me. "We will defeat, Gaea. The gods are not alone in this fight."

The goddess returned my smile and patted my head before she walked away. I wish Father Zeus could see that. Thank you, my lieutenant, my bravest hunter. And with that, she dissolved into silver light.

...

My ears picked up a rustle in the grass. I didn't realized that I had wandered to Zeus' fist without meaning to. How long have I spaced out?

I saw a flicker of shadow on the rocks.

I quickly notched an arrow in my bow and aimed. It was a clear night. I could see most except the darkest of shadows. "I know you're there. Show yourself or I'll put an arrow through you." I warned in the night. If it was anyone from camp, they would immediately recognize my voice and knew that I meant every word I said. They should come out if they were friendly. "I'm giving you three seconds...

"One. Two." I pulled the taut string of my bow hard. "Thr-"

"Wait!"

I didn't relax even a little while I waited for the figure to move out of the shadows. My shoulders tensed and my heart turned erratic for no reason. I was never this nervous when facing an unknown foe. I gritted my teeth as I felt the barely familiar urge to run. What in Hades?! Has Gaea's minions managed to sneak in at camp?

My jaw dropped when my adversary finally stepped into the stream of moonlight. "No..." My heart stopped in fear and horror. Pain swamped my thoughts. "No." Tears muddled my vision.

"Long time no see, Thals."

...

Air left my body and I felt like I was drowning. Hearing that familiar voice. Seeing that familiar sandy blonde hair and face. He wore a plain white shirt and jeans. It was like he never left camp at all. It felt like someone just punched me hard in the gut. This was too much.

"Uhm. Hi?" An apparition that looked too much like Luke Castellan took a step towards me.

"You?!" I exclaimed , my voice was shaking with anger and too much unidentified emotions. "Don't come any closer!" I yelled despite that the distance between us weren't that too far. "You. Are. Dead."

That scarred face. His familiar troublemaker wince. Pain radiated in my chest in overwhelming rage. How dare this thing use his image? I wanted to put an arrow in that face.

"Yes, I was."

Was? "Who are you? What are you? Are you a ghost?" I asked but he looked so solid, so real to be an apparition or a ghost. A different need came to me. I wanted to touch him and know for myself If he was real.

"It's me, Thalia. I am Luke. And I am alive. I think. For now."

"That doesn't make sense at all." I knew I should have just shot this apparition, or whatever the hell it was. But I could bring myself to move. I just stared at him.

He eyed my bow warily then held up his hands. "Look, I am unarmed. I know I'm the last person you would trust now but just let me explain, Tha-"

"Don't say my name!" I cried. He kept on coming forward. I held my bow higher and aimed right at his heart. "No, stop!"

"Thalia..." There was the look in his eyes that echoed to me. There was agony in his eyes that I almost understand.

"No." I didn't know it but tears had already fell from my eyes.

His jaws tensed. I watched him close the remaining distance us until his face was at the tip of my arrow. "Thalia, I'm sorry. For everything." He said with solemn, tormented eyes.

"Damn you!" I stepped back and released my arrow.

"Ahhhgh!" He took a couple of steps back and stared in pain and surprise at the arrow that was now protruding at his arm. Red stain of blood began to spread at the sleeve on his shirt and trailed down to his arm. "You shot me?!"

In a quick action, I was at his side and tore his sleeve with my knife. I may have given it a bit more power for I also managed to tear his shirt even at the front. But that wasn't my intention. I looked at his wound. My arrow was embedded in real looking flesh - warm human flesh that's now bleeding.

"You're not a ghost." I muttered, dumbfounded.

"Of course I'm not! That's what I've been trying to tell you!"

I ignored his angry words and with one pull, I took the arrow from his arm.

Luke-look-alike person bellowed in pain. "What in Hades?!" He wheezed between rapid breaths.

More blood flowed from the open wound. I just stared at it. Flesh and blood. "You feel pain."

"Of course, I do! Dammit! That hurts."

"Who are you?" I asked with a false calm. I was nowhere near calm. Dam! I was panicking. I was one step away from running away from here. This could not be happening. This was a nightmare. Who's sick joke is this?!

He looked at me with a wince while trying to stop the bleeding on his arm. Noting that I would not help him, he tore his shirt completely to use as a make shift bandage.

Oh no. I stared helpless at a now shirtless Luke.

He easily made a quick work of his wound just like how any trained camper would do. First aid. That's one of the first lesson here at camp. The thought opened another flood of anger bubbling inside me. "Answer me." I growled. "Before I put an arrow in your head next."

In my complete surprise, he smiled. That crooked smile that would show a little dimple in his scarred cheeks. Oh no. That's Luke's body alright. I was only too familiar with that smile. What's happening?! "You became tougher, Thals."

I notched another arrow in my bow.

"Okay. Okay. I am Luke Castellan. The one who started the Titan war. Who became the host of Kronos and..." His voice trailed away in a regretful sigh. "I was the one who hurt you and Annabeth. I failed to fulfill my promise of giving the two of you a safe home and a family. I'm sorry again, Thalia. I never got to apologize to you."

"LUKE IS DEAD." I forced through gritted teeth.

"I was. I had been in Elysium since Manhattan. But..."

"But?"

"You know how the Doors of Death had been forcibly open?"

I nodded stiffly.

"Hades made me a deal. He would let me go for a particular amount of time if I would find his wife for him."

"What?"

"Persephone has been missing and neither Hades nor Demeter know where she is. He thinks that Gaea has her."

"What?!"

"Basically, he wants me to steal his wife back."

"That doesn't make sense."

He winced again. Will you stop being so much like the old Luke?! "I know it is a far fetched story but it's why I am here. I didn't plan to meet you, Thalia." For some reason, those words stung so much. "I didn't want to open up old wounds. I just wanted to ask Grover to track Persephone for me. He was the best tracker I knew and I have no other leads."

"I don't believe you." I said observing his face carefully. I knew of possessing spirits but it didn't seem for this body to be possessed. It still has Luke's beautiful blue eyes. I knew most of monsters thanks to Artemis. But never have I heard of a monster that could perfectly copy the body of someone else. Only gods could do that. And yet his blood was red and human. I could smell it. It couldn't be a trick.

"I don't expect you to." He scratched his head in an old gesture that Luke did when he was nervous. "Can you stop looking at me like that?"

I didn't respond and just aimed my weapon at him. Any wrong move and I'd finish him. Please make a wrong move. Stop this sick joke. Let me kill you know.

Luke sighed. "Okay. Can you just take me to Grover and I'd be out of your hair. I didn't know how much time I have left. And Hades fears that Gaea would use his wife as a bargaining chip."

"Why would Hades even choose you?"

Luke frowned at me. "You know, people at Elysium treated me as a hero."

"No, you are not. You will never be a hero."

Pain crossed his still handsome face. For a brief moment, I regretted my sharp words. "You are right. Sorry. Hades needed a thief. I'm the son of Hermes. That's it, I think." He started to turn away from me.

"Wait! Where in Hades do you think you are going?!" I yelled.

"I'm looking for Grover."

"You think I'd just let you walk freely around camp?!"

"I have something to do Thalia. I couldn't afford to waste time. Follow me if you want, if you still don't believe that I had no bad intentions for being here."

"Dam well that I don't."

I glimpsed for a second the hurt in his eyes before he turned away and back to the trees. I thought my chest had numb from the influx of too much pain from seeing him again but seeing him in pain too had worse effect on me than I would have like. Why does he still affect me this badly? After everything he did? After everything I went through?

I decided to follow him then when he turned again and faced me. Not anticipating his move, he caught me by surprise by pulling my wrist to him. In split second, I was inside his arms. He didn't feel like a ghost or dead at all. Suddenly, all the memories of our time on the run together came to me in a solid wave. Those nights that I spent in his arms to fight the chill away. He felt warmer now. The emotions momentarily left me dazed and breathless.

And then his hands climbed to my neck and before I could react any further his lips was on my lips in a kiss that altogether stopped my mind and heart from working. All I could do was gasp for air which gave him access to deepen the kiss.

My body took over in decision making and I responded, kissing him back, following how his lips moved over mine. My eyes closed of its own accord. I was in a limbo. I felt hundreds of emotions, happy to sad, relief, anger then confusion. But all those emotions were muddled by the warm, soft lips that was know kissing me, turning all my thoughts into a useless blob.

My heart hammered in my chest so loud that I could almost hear it. And beneath my palm that found its way to his bare chest was also his heart pounding as hard as mine. He felt too alive.

Eternity seemed to have passed before Luke slowly pulled away from me and rested his forehead on mine. I wasn't able to stop the sigh of loss that escaped my lips. "I'm not apologizing for that, Thalia." He whispered between catching his breath. I was still mesmerized by the feel of his arms around me and the remnants of his kiss. "This is one of the things that I've always regretted even at Elysium. I never got to kiss you properly. Now I could return in the underworld in peace."

"I..." The mention of underworld snapped me back to my senses and I tried to push him away. What in Hades am I doing?! How could I let him kiss me?!!! How dare he - oh no... Horror dawned upon me. Duck! Artemis would kill me! Oh Styx! "I would kill you now." I said still a bit breathless when the bushes to my right started to rustle.

Grover suddenly appeared from behind a tree. "Thalia, Juniper said you're- blaahh! Oh holy, mother Styx! That's not?! Ohh... Meeeeeeh... Goooods!!!" My old satyr friend bleeted as he started at us dumbfounded then he passed out.

*****

It's time to enter CHB into the picture... A more mature development since Luke is old enough already... :))