Let's Get Some Answers!

Veronica's POV

"Hey mom?" I called out to my adoptive mother from my bedroom.

No response.

"Mom!" I raised my voice even more, but I got nothing.

I slammed my pencil down and walked out of my room, and down the stairs.

"Mom, I've been calling you, but-" I immediately stopped what I was doing when I saw what as happening.

"Uhh, what's going on?" I asked, placing my hand on my hip.

My parents shared a look and my sister, looked away from me.

"Um, Veronica we have some news we need to share with you." My mother spoke up, organizing the papers she had.

"Alright, but why didn't you just call me out here?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"We were just planning on telling your sister." My father informed, but my mother smacked his arm.

"Why?! I'm apart of this family and need to know." I was offended and hurt, by what I heard.

"We know that sweetie, but Nikell..." My mother trailed off losing eye contact with with me.

I leaned forward wanting her to continue. "Nikell's what?"

"I can handle this more then you okay?" Nikell exclaimed, shooting up from her spot, and my parents glared at her.

"Nikell, use your inside voice." My father ordered her, and Nikki sat back down.

I widened my eyes, gasping quietly. "You don't think I can handle this? Why? I'm fourteen, I can handle my toothbrush better then her."

Nikell went to protest but she stayed quiet knowing it's true.

"Veronica, do not insult you sister, please." My mother told me, and I groaned.

"How is the truth an insult? She even agreed." I was getting annoyed with my parents, and they didn't stop pestering me.

"Veronica! Do not talk back to me! I do not know what has gotten into you but it has to stop immediately." My mother stood up, towering over me, giving me a dirty look.

"I'm not talking back. I'm just annoyed by how you never shout at my sister, but you always do at me." I reasoned, pointing at Nikell, and then at myself.

"Because she isn't a disappointment, who misbehaves!" My mother yelled at my face, and that cracked me.

"Diana." My father muttered at his wife, "That was outline."

"I don't care." She deadpanned.

Tears formed in my eyes, "Well I'm sorry I'm such a disappointment!"

I ran up the stairs and into my room. I slammed my door shut, and crawled into my bed.

I miss my mother, my real mother.

---

Ring ring! Ring ring!

I shot up, with blurry vision and dry mascara under my eyes.

I sniffled and answered my phone.

It was Ryan.

I smiled a little at his name.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Veronica? Everything okay? I thought you would've been at Mech-X5?"