all we have is love

maya

A/N: riley and maya are 22 in this and they're played by Candice King and Nina Dobrev. But if you want to imagine them as someone else, feel free to do so. I just think these two fit them perfectly. ♡

"I now declare that, same sex marriage is now legal. Thank you." I looked at my television screen in shock. Was this actually happening? I looked over at Riley, who was just as shocked as I was. For the longest time, I've been in love with Riley Matthews. It all started the first day of seventh grade. When she met a boy named Lucas Friar. They dated all through middle school, then broke up in high school because he cheated on her. She was absolutely devastated. I, of course, was there to comfort her. That's when she told me that she had only pretended to like Lucas because she didn't want anyone to know that she was lesbian. My heart was happy, because I had a huge crush on her.

"It doesn't matter, though, because you probably don't even like me like that." I didn't know what to say, I just held her in my arms. That's when I decided to tell her. Since she liked me too. I let go of her and looked her straight in the eyes. She half smiled and I said, "Riles, I've had the biggest crush on you since the seventh grade. I always thought you'd never like me back, especially after you met Lucas. So I never said anything. " She smiled, a big smile, and said, "Oh peaches. I love you, and now I know how. " I smiled and kissed her. She kissed me back and we just sat there (A/N: they're in the 'hole' from 03x01) When we finally decided to come out publicly, Lucas told Riley that he hadn't meant to cheat on her, she forgave him and now we're all friends again. Now, that was high school, we dated all the way until senior year, our colleges weren't that far from each other, so we got to spend a lot of time together. Then we graduated, but, sadly, we could never get married because it wasn't legal. Well, until now.

I looked at Riley, who was still smiling at me and I grabbed her by the waist and kissed her. She kissed me back and then I got down on one knee. She gasped and just stood there. "Riley Matthews, I've been in love with you since the seventh grade, this is a moment I only imagined would happen. Now, we get to make it reality. Riley, you are the love of my life and if I had to dream up the perfect girl for me, she wouldn't even come close to you. I love everything about you. Your quirks, your smile and the way you always spread positivity wherever you go. I love you more than words can explain and I want to be able to wake up every morning with you by my side. Riley, would you make me the happiest girl alive and.. Marry me?" She nodded and said, "YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!" I smiled and put the ring on her finger. I stood up and hugged her. "I love you so much, Maya." "And I love you, Riles." I can't believe that after so long, I finally get to be happy.