The Scholarship

"Riley! Listen to me!" I yelled from across the hallway. She just ignored me and kept walking.

"Ring power !" I yelled, lifting up my right hand, which held my ring. A birthday gift from Riley for my 14th birthday three years ago. This time, Riley groaned and turned around to face me.

" I hate you, " She whispered as she walked over to me. I smirked and took her right hand in mine. I didn't even care that I was probably hurting her wrist, I needed to talk to her.

"What do you want?" I sighed and took a seat at her bay window. She did the same and waited for me to speak. I took a deep breathe and then looked into her big brown eyes. "Riles, I know you're upset, but, you have to realize that, it's my dream." She didn't look at me. I knew it was painful for her, heck, it was painful for me too.

"Baby, please, don't do this." She said, holding back tears. It made me cry just hearing her. I couldn't break her heart, but, it looks like right now, that's my only option. "Riles, I know you're upset. I am too, but, you of all people know how much I've been dreaming for this opportunity!" She didn't look up this time, so I just kept talking.

"Babe, going to that art school in London is my dream! They're giving me a full scholarship! Aren't you happy for me!?" She hiccuped and then looked up at me. Her eyes were red and puffy. It hurt me to see her upset.

"Peaches, London is so far way. I thought we would be going to NYU together?" She looked into my eyes, as if searching for an answer. An answer that I didn't have. I really wanted the scholarship, but, I didn't want to hurt her. What am I supposed to do?"

"Riley, I love you. You know that! So why can't you just be happy for me?" She rolled her eyes and let go of my hands. I looked down at my hands and neither of us spoke. We both knew what the other was thinking. Without much thought, I got up from the bay window and slammed the door. Never bothering to look back. I always thought Riley and i would be forever, well, I guess I was wrong.

I can't believe she said she loved me, yet doesn't understand that I want to live my dreams. I guess I should have known this would happen. Since Riley hates change. Oh well, at least I can be happy now. With or without her, I'll be happy. And I'll make my dreams come true.