Too Good At Goodbyes

Maya

I stood there, frozen. Every bone in my body was numb and I didn't know what to think. My mind was racing with every possible solution as to how this could have been avoided. How all of this could have been avoided had I not been such a b!tch and lashed out on her. She meant the world to me and I only broke her. I broke her to the point that she decided ending her life would have been a better option. I looked up at the preacher, and he was talking about her and how she was such a ray of light. And how she was such an innocent person who was gone too soon.

After speaking for a good half hour, they asked me to read my eulogy. I hadn't even thought of one when the Matthews first asked me. And then, after over thinking and tossing hundreds of crumbled up pieces of paper, I finally managed to come up with something that I found decent enough. Even though there was absolutely nothing I could ever say or do that would bring her back. However, I knew that it would mean the world to Corey and Topanga if I said something, so, as much as I didn't want to, I sucked in a breathe and cleared my throat. As I got on the podium, everyone's eyes fell on me. My hands began to shake, but I brushed it off and began my speech.

"Good evening, everyone. Today we are here to honor the life and memory of someone who will always have a special place in all of out hearts. I have known many people just as weird and quirky as Riley Matthews, however, none of them were able to touch my heart the way she did. And maybe it's because I actually let her into my life, or maybe it's because I fell in love with her without realizing it. And, sadly, as the years went on, I took her love for granted. I never learnt to value and appreciate the love she gave me. I will always regret not being there for her and not appreciating the love she gave me, even when I was hateful and cruel towards her. All I can say right now, with such a broken heart, is that Riley Matthews will forever hold a special place in my heart, as my best friend, my home, and most of all, the lover that I never learnt to value. Thank you."

With those final words, and tears streaming down my face, I got off the podium and walked over to my mom, she had a few tears in her eyes as well. I then walked to the Matthews and they all hugged me tight. I looked at Topanga and she told me I did a wonderful job. And then, after a few more moments of people praying and saying speeches, it was finally time for us to say our final goodbyes. When it was my turn, I really couldn't find words to express my regret and how much I loved her. So, with a deep breathe, I looked at her lifeless, cold body and whispered, "I'm not too good at goodbyes."

AYY A NEW ONE SHOT FINALLY!!!!

Vote&Comment

- M