The Library - Part 2

A/N: so this one shot is a continuation of another one I did a while back! So to understand this one, you have to go back and read part one. It's pretty short so that shouldn't be problem.

"Mom! I'm going to the library to work on a history project! Bye!" I slammed the door and walked out of my apartment complex. It was pretty run down and in a very bad neighborhood. I can't leave the house without pepper spray because my mother is always worried that something will happen to me. And I mean, I really don't blame her. New York city is pretty dangerous, especially in the nighttime. I sigh as I make my way to the library. You would think that at almost eight pm it would be closed, but Mrs. Delgado, the librarian, likes to stay late to read, so it's usually open until nine forty.

"Maya! How are you darling?" Mrs. D said, with a big smile on her face. I walked to her and looked through the shelves of books. "I'm doing good, Mrs. Delgado, how have you been?" She smiled and we had small talk for a bit, that is, until Riley showed up and told me to sit next to her. I reluctantly did so and took out my notebook and textbook. We sat in silence just reading for what felt like hours until she finally broke the silence.

"So.." She began. I looked at her and waited for her to speak again. Her brown eyes looked into my blue ones and I suddenly felt butterflies in my stomach. Why was I feeling this way? I ignored the feeling and focused my attention on whatever Riley had to say. "How have you been? We haven't really talked in some time." I mentally groaned. Why did she care? She's the one who ditched me for better friends. I sighed and shrugged. "Pretty good I guess. I mean, i'm not really popular like you or anything." Riley looked at her open textbook and stayed quiet for a moment.

"Maya, listen. I'm sorry." That caught my attention and I closed my open book. What? Riley looked at me and I saw that she was crying. I was confused and looked at her like she had just sprouted another head. She shook her head and continued. "I left you for people who I thought were better. But really, I can tell they're just using me. You were always there for me and I completely left you behind to become popular. Yet, you're so much happier than me. I mean, you're best friends with Lucas Friar! And I mean, I know it's not like me to be jealous but I can just tell how much he likes you and It's just that I-" I cut her off by laughing too loud.

Riley was taken aback. But she shrugged it off and asked me what was wrong. "Riley, I- wow, okay. I totally thought you knew but I guess not. Look, Riley, I'm gay. And not as in like, 'i'm happy,' but like, gay gay." I watched as her mouth fell open in shock and smiled. I can't believe the whole school knew yet the most popular girl was completely oblivious. After a while, she finally spoke. Her voice was soft and quiet at first. I listened to her words carefully. "Maya, I'm really glad you're so open about your sexuality." I smiled wide at her words and said, "Thank you Riley. You know, this isn't as bad as I thought it would be." She smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, same here. You know, I really miss the times we used to spend together." I nodded at that and remembered the time in middle school when we snuck out to a college party. I shook my head and Riley looked at me funny. I only smiled and we ended up talking about old times and the things we used to do. "You know, my bay window's been pretty lonely since the beginning of Freshman year." I smiled and started remembering all the times her bay window acted like my safe place. That all ended when we stopped being friends.

"Really? You haven't taken any of your new best friends there?" I knew that my voice gave off the impression that I was confused, because genuinely, I was. Why hadn't she taken her friends there? She loved that bay window. She loved it more than anything. I watched as Riley shook her head, and then she took my hands in hers, making my body tingle. What was going on? Her big brown eyes looked into my blue ones and I suddenly felt butterflies in the pit of my stomach.

"Not really. Maya, the bay window is the most important thing to me, I love it more than anything, it's special. I would never want to take my so called friends to it, because they wouldn't understand the magic of it. Not like you did anyway." I felt my heart beat accelerate, and then Riley's face was inches from mine. I didn't know what to do, everything was happening so fast, yet, when realization hit me, I didn't stop her and soon enough, our lips touched and we were kissing. I felt my heartbeat skip at the sudden pleasure of Riley's warm lips on mine. The kiss was slow and beautiful. When we pulled away, I couldn't help the smile forming on my face, and I looked to see Riley was smiling, too. It was quiet for a moment, until she finally spoke.

"Maya, I know i've been such a bitch to you lately, but, after tonight, I want you to know that not having you in my life has been hell, and I should have learned to appreciate our friendship. I'm so sorry, will you ever forgive me?" I smiled as I looked into her eyes, which had tears forming. I can not believe this is happening, but she looks genuinely upset, and that was enough for me to know that she's not lying. "Of course I forgive you. Because I love you, I always have." She smiles wide as I say that and next thing I know, her lips are on mine once more.

What a night.

dam not only did this take forever but its also wayy longer than i intended it to be :) sorry about that but hopefully y'all enjoy it! please comment and vote loves <3

- M