Chapter 18 - you've been here this whole time

Lafayette's POV (unedited)

"Eliza, John is not doing so good what the hell do we do?" I whisper shouted frantically at the already stressed girl in front of me. Eliza was pacing back and forth quietly, every so often smoothening out her baby blue button down shirt.

"He's freaking out because they want to keep Alex in for a few more weeks and they won't tell anyone why because there's no immediate family" Eliza informed me, glancing sideways at John every few seconds. Her black ripped jeans honestly looked like they'd rip even more if she walked another step and she fumbled with her messy bun so much it was loose.

John was sitting on the corner of his bed, eyebrows permanently knotted in thought, causing the skin on his forehead to wrinkle. His eyes were droopy- he hadn't slept in god knows how long. It'd been two weeks since Alex got shot and Peggy and John were far from ok. John pushed everyone away and wouldn't talk while all Peggy did was scream at anyone or anything she could. I guess we were all dealing with it in our seperate ways. Eliza and I mostly were just concerned for them and used it as a distraction but Angelica and Hercules avoided the subject entirely.

"We have to go to assembly" Eliza said in a hushed voice "We'll talk later"

-

"We send our prayers to his friends" a random teacher was making a small announcement about Alex and if he said one more thing I'm sure John would snap. "And family"

snap

"he doesn't even have any family for you to send prayers to, Jesus!" John screamed, getting up from his chair. Angelica and Hercules desperately tugged on his arms trying to pull him back down but he wriggled out each time. "Maybe send your prayers to
the dickwad who shot him, they'll need it if I ever find out who they are"

"Mr Laurens, please sit down " the teacher asked, looking timid.

John obeyed and sat down, ignoring the stares and murmurs.

"You shouldn't of done that" Peggy muttered through her gritted teeth.

"Says you, you haven't calmed your shit in days"

Peggy's appearance became angrier by the second."all you've done it sit around and feel sorry for yourself, at least I've been productive"

"Productive? Ha. If screaming at your girlfriend and punching the walls counts as productive then, congratulations"

"I'll punch you if you don't shut up" she glared, her hand forming into a fist.

"You can try if you'd like"

"You think you could handle it?"

"I've put up with you since kindergarten I can handle whatever" John managed to whisper before Peggy punched him in the jaw.

"Peggy! Stop!" Eliza yelped, horrified and the whole hall full of people stared in our direction once again.

"IT'S YOUR FAULT, JOHN" she screamed, voice quavering as she punched him again and again and again.

"FUCK YOU" John hit back before Hercules pulled the screaming boy off her. Peggy struggled past the teacher's grips who were attempting to pry the livid girl off John. Though they tried, A collective gasp was heard every time she threw another punch. This continued for a few minutes until John had blood pouring out his nose and purple bruises littering his face. Peggy had a black eye and some bleeding cuts on her cheeks.
-
"Holy shit" Angelica murmured once Peggy had been calmed down and them and the group had been taken out of the assembly. John had ice packs on his face and chest, covering purple bruises his best friend had left. They'd been taken to the nurse where we all watched them lie in the hospital room like beds.

"Why the hell did you do that" Hercules growled, furiously at Peggy.

"Cause it's his fault" Peggy replied sharply, sounding as unconvinced as everybody else by her own words.

Eliza slammed her hand down and wrapped it tightly around her younger sister's wrist. "How the hell is it his fault?" She threw her wrist back down in frustration, appearing stressed beyond belief.

"I don't know" she admitted after a few seconds of silence. Eliza rolled her eyes and leant on my shoulder, probably tired of everyone's bullshit.

"You two...." Angelica groaned. "Alex isn't even dead you dimwits"

"That's not the point" John muttered in annoyance.

"Then enlighten me"

-

Thomas' POV

"You shot Hamilton? Why?" I asked Charles. My imagination was coming up with endless scenarios of how this could end. I knew I shouldn't listen to anymore information. The more I know the worse it will get.

"Yes- but- I-I was trying to shoot Laurens, not him!" Charles replied like it was a good excuse.

"He was stoned, Thomas. Charles Lee was stoned and decided to try and shoot John Laurens" Samuel interrupted and I exhaled, rubbing my forehead harshly.

"What do we do?" James questioned.

"You don't do anything" Charles said sternly.

"They're going to be looking for the shooter after Hamilton gets better" I tried to convince Charles to fess up but the selfish idiot wouldn't listen to me. "You have to tell them!"

"No, I don't! And if either of you tell them, I know stuff about you and stuff about guns so I would be careful" Lee huffed, walking out the door.

Samuel rolled his eyes and followed him out, slamming he door shut.
-

John's POV

I peered into the bathroom cupboard, taking anything that could be used for self harm out onto the bench top. I felt a shiver run down my spine every time I touched the razor or the knife or anything sharp for that matter. Prying open the cardboard packaging I pulled a lock and key out. I fumbled with the objects as I stuffed them in an empty draw and clipped the lock on.

"Good job" Peggy smiled at me, leaning on the door frame. "Where you gonna hide the key?"

I peered around my room until my eyes fell on my bedside table lamp. I pulled out some blue tack and stuck the key down on the table before placing the lamp over it.

"If he ever sees you take it out when you need to use a razor to shave or something, move it. You can keep it with me if you need to" Peggy suggested and I grinned back at her, feeling a little accomplished and proud of myself.

"You made up with Maria yet?" I asked, sitting next to Peggy on the bed.

"One day"

-
Short chapter aGH

Holidays for me end tmrw so I won't be writing as much but I promise I'll try to!