26 - the accident

Alex's POV

So.... heads up; I may or may not have started crying just as I finished writing the first paragraph :,)

I stared at the blue door that separated John and the Doctors and nurses from the group and I. It looked daunting and  frightening as I observed it up and down. I felt Peggy intertwine her slender fingers with mine.

"It flatlined" I finally stated when we sat down in the waiting room after a few minutes.

"It's going to be alright" she muttered, staring at me.

"But it flatlined" I repeated, gulping down air that felt like rocks in my throw.

Brooklyn nine-nine season 4 spoilers ahead!!

"It flatlined and started again, I saw it" Peggy assured me, almost sternly. We sat in silence for a while until I saw the smallest of smiles appear on her face. "Hey, what did you think of the finale episode of Brooklyn nine nine? It's so annoying that it's the only one we didn't watch together!"

I could tell that she was attempting to cheer me up, I was tempted to scream at her but this was just as hard for her as it was for me. "I'm not over it. They can't just dump Jake and Rosa, my favourite innocent bisexuals into jail"

"Did you see Amy's face?" Peggy managed to reply with excitement but still keeping her voice soft and sad.

"I did! Though I never get over that bit when Jake, Amy and the witness walk in! It's so funny" I let myself laugh a bit when I notice Peggy got visibly happier when I smiled. She pulls out her phone and we played the clip of them walking into the court room in slow motion with song "Sail Away" playing. Peggy and I must've giggled and rewatched it more than a million times because Eliza rolled her eyes so far back I think they fell into her brain.

Season 4 spoilers over :)

-

After an hour of Peggy, Maria and I chatting about how perfect Rosa Diaz is, a nurse approached us.

"Hello, thank you so much for patiently waiting, John Hamilton should be in a  stable enough  condition for you to see him, Philip can come with you since all the various scars and bleeding have been bandaged up" the nurse led us slowly to John's hospital room and we sped in.

"Hey guys" John croaked. His voice was barely understandable. Bandages were wrapped around his head, arms, waist and legs, he had casts and blood had dried up and stained on them.

"His jaw is damaged so he might be a little hard to understand" the nurse quickly said before backing up.

"Hey turtle boy" I smiled at John as I lifted Philip onto the hospital bed with him.

"Hey ham and cheese. I'm sorry I didn't wear a seatbelt and listened to buzzfeed instead of you" he grinned happily.

"You're such a dweeb" I laughed. Everyone hugged him one by one, Hercules taking a little longer because he started sobbing on top of him. When John, Philip and I started talking, we didn't even notice everyone leaving the room and letting us chat away about our usual stupid topics.

"I've already lost two parents I was scared I was gonna lose you" Philip blurted out mid conversation. His eyes were shiny with tears he was holding back and his nose and cheeks were red as roses.