25 - Uncertainty

OH boi fam. Yikes you in for a lot rn. That last chapter was shit but I think I'm making up for it with this one. I'm lowkey proud of the writing.

John's POV

Peggy sat cross legged on the ground in front of me, begging to take care of Philip. "Please please please pleaseeee! He's ten now! There's not much harm I can bring him!" She whined, clasping her hands together, eyebrows knotted. Any normal parent would completely lose their chill at someone with this amount of maturity wanting to have control of the safety of their child, but not me, mainly because Maria was with her. Philip proceeded to beg with Peggy until all I could hear were cries of "please please please please please?"

"Ok, ok!" I said a little too loudly. I cringed and turned to Philip "we're just going to get-" my gaze swung to Peggy, who didn't know what we were going to get and frankly- couldn't know. Maria knew though. "Ok bye bub!" I kissed him on the forehead, right below his curly brown hair that bopped up and down at the sign of any movement. He rubbed the kiss off, disgusted.

"I'm a big boy! You don't need to kiss me on the head!" He groaned, rolling his eyes while he tugged on his Justice League shirt.

"Oh I'm sorry- then I'll just hug you" I smiled before attacking him with kisses all over his face.

"Daaaad!" He crossed his arms, letting a smile peek through angry facial expression. "I'm never speaking to you again!" I waved him and Peggy and Maria goodbye, letting Alex through he door before I shut it.

"I don't see why we couldn't have brought Philip" Alex frowned longingly at the door, imagining Philip playing with Peggy and Maria.

"He'd find some way to call Peggy and blab to her about it. Remember their 'sacred truce'?" And Alex tilted his head and nodded.

"Yeah, that we're not allowed to interfere with Philip and Peggy's private convos" he rolled his eyes, smiling slightly. We began to walk down the hall of apartments, hand in hand.

"I love him so much" I grinned to myself while Alex rested his head on my shoulder.

"And it's all thanks to me"

-
Alex's POV

We hopped in the car and I quickly pulled my seatbelt over my chest, looking over at John, expecting the same.

"John Laurens... are you forgetting something?" I frowned and he simply stared at me, raising an eyebrow. "Seatbelt!" I huffed, rolling my eyes.

"Alex! More people die by shark attacks than car crashes!" He whined, reminding me of Philip.

I started up he car, hearing it's usual whirling sound. "Dude, I'm pretty sure that statistic is completely wrong"

"I read it on buzzfeed" he crossed his arms proudly, leading us off topic.

"Aaaand I was right"

I reversed out of the parking lot, checking the rearview camera every three seconds. A few minutes before we reached the destination, John started up another conversation.

"So Maria sent you a photo of the wedding dress Peggy wanted? Right?" He asked nervously.

"Yeah and I can confirm that Peggy has been pining for that dress since the first year of university and Maria didn't just blatantly ask her which one she wanted" I informed, attempting to calm his nerves down.

"So it's a total surprise?" He asked and I nodded. "I'm hoping to replace you as her best friend, I'm still pissed she said you were her best friend"