~Chapter six~

"Dr. Isaac." Rylan shook his hand, stepping into his office.

"Rylan." He replied. "We have an appointment. You're early."

"Sorry I was nervous." He closed the door and sat down opposite him.

"Not a problem, let's go through?" He asked, getting up his notes from the computer and grabbing a file from beside him. " How have you been, it's been a few weeks?"

"Really bad... To be quite honest." He admits and Isaac gives him a sympathetic smile.

"Your dads given me a few updates and we had a meeting a few days ago, we've got a new plan and hopefully you can adjust to living with your mate now too..." Isaac looks happy for Rylan.

"So you know about that..." He chuckled slightly, nodding.

"Yes, I do keep in touch with your father. And I would love to meet her too when you're ready." He pauses, "How have you been at night?" Isaac asked making notes.

Rylan was silent. He didn't like talking about it, it made him feel weak. He thought about Adeline and zoned out for a while, eventually looking up at Isaac.

"Do you want to talk about something else?" Isaac asked, frowning.

Rylan shook his head. "No. I was just thinking..." He took a few breaths.

"Take your time."

"I've had a lot of flashbacks... I think I've started trying to avoid going to sleep now."

"It's really bad?" Isaac asked and Rylan nodded. "How do you feel about your nightmares? Do they scare you? Or is it more just the trauma of being back where you were?" Isaac asked.

"I think it just worries me being back there... Sometimes they're not too violent, and I wake up the majority of the time. But the team has had to inject me a few times."

"That's understandable and these things are going to take a lot of time...Do you mind... If I talk for a little while?" Dr. Isaac asked and Rylan nods his head. "You know that we rescued about 60 people from that warehouse with you. I knew a few of those men, and I still keep in touch with them now." He paused.

"Jonathan was one of the men. I'll show you a picture." He got out another file and flicked through the pages, finding an image of him.

Rylan recognizes him and took the image out of Dr. Isaacs's hand. "He was in the cell to my right... For the majority of the time. I recognise him"

"3 days after he was rescued, he found his mate. He was in the same position you're in now. He was having flashbacks, shock, you name it... But his mate made a difference." Dr. Isaac showed Rylan another picture, "And his recovering was extremely quick, much quicker than yours has been."

"We set up a sort of... Program for him. We encouraged him to do things like sleep in the same bed as her. Hold her hand, let her touch him on the arm. Small things to begin with, but he calmed down straight away and within a few weeks they had mated." Dr. Isaac explained.

"His mental condition was much better than yours. You had been there since day 1. He only arrived a few weeks before we found you, but that doesn't change this. We think she'll be able to help you."

"What are you saying?" Rylan asked passing back the pictures.

"I'm encouraging you to get close with her, start sleeping in the same room and being around each other. You don't have to start touching straight away, I know that's a big boundary for you." Dr. Isaac put back Jonathan's file.

"She will be able to do double whatever I can, in a much shorter time because of the natural bond. You're always welcome here... But I recommend that you do the same thing as Jonathan did and see how it goes." Dr. Isaac suggested. "I would also like you to meet him, I can arrange that when you're ready, it might be good for you."

"Okay." Rylan fiddled with his arms.

"You were also due for a physical exam a few weeks ago." Dr. Isaac pointed out, checking on the computer. "Would you care to do this at some point?"

"Not really." Rylan rubbed his chin. "Do I have to?"

"It would be beneficial for one of us to check your scars and see how they're doing. I can do it if you're more comfortable with me doing it, or Dr. Fernandes is here. We'll go into one of the examination rooms." He suggested and Rylan sighed, nodding. "Let's get over with it mate."

They walked gingerly into one of the rooms beside the one they were just in, Dr. Isaac took a clipboard with him and logged onto the computer.

"Take your time, you don't need to rush. I'll check your top half first." He told him and Rylan nodded, as he began to take off his long-sleeved t-shirt slowly.

He placed it behind him and sat down nervously, looking at the wall. He pinched his fingers anxiously.

"Do you want me to wear gloves?" The doctor asked turning around.

"What's easiest for you?" Rylan asked, taking deep breaths. He hated being exposed and covered a few of the larger scars with his arms while he prepared.

"I would prefer not to wear them, but it's your choice." He replied and Rylan nodded.

"Don't worry about it... Just tell me where you're going to touch before you do anything." He swallowed. Moving his arms.

"Tell me if you want to stop," Isaac told him firmly, sensing his discomfort. "Wrists first." He asked and Rylan moved his hands up and faced his palms upwards.

"Okay, I'm just going to press lightly." He told Rylan before looking gently at the symmetric lines on his wrists... Self-inflicted.

"These are starting to heal properly now. Have you.... cut... lately?" Isaac asks and Rylan shakes his head. "Good." He lets go of Rylan's wrist and moves around slowly, checking all of his wounds one by one.

"That's enough," Rylan said, backing away as Isaac checked his lower back. "I'm finished. That's enough." Isaac let go and nodded, understanding his boundaries.

"Thank you," Isaac said and Rylan just nodded, putting his shirt back on, quickly. "We can check the rets another time. Think about what I said about your mate... Come and see me whenever you like, okay? Your scars are looking good too. And I've sent all of the new information over in an email already, okay? I'll see you next week." Isaac explained, and Rylan just nodded again.

He walked back home with Brody, who had been waiting in the waiting room. When he opened the door, his mother and father were talking in the kitchen, his beautiful mate sitting by the backdoors reading. She turned to face him as he came in the door.

"Hi sweetie." His mother welcomed him in with warming eyes. She continued what she was doing.

"How was it?" His father asked and Rylan just shook his head, slipping off his shoes. He had just returned from his meeting.

"I had to have a physical." He mumbled as he took off his jacket. "It was fine apart from that."

"How are all your scars? Are your wrists okay now? I take it they've closed up and you haven't made them worse?" His father carried on and he just sighed.

"Can you stop talking about this, please? They're fine." Rylan said walking into the living room with a deep breath. "Adeline doesn't need to be lectured about my physical condition." She smiled from across the room. Brody jumped on a couch and picked up his phone.

The room went silent and Rylan started making two drinks. Both of his parents started talking again and Adeline got quietly up to walk into the kitchen, she stood a few inches away and he turned to face her, giving her a small smile. He handed her a glass of juice.

"Are you okay?" She mouthed and he nodded.

"You didn't make any plans for tonight?" He asked quietly and she shook her head, taking a sip.

"What do you say I take you for dinner? Get out of here for a few hours?" He asked nervously and she nodded, grinning.