~Chapter fourteen~

* Self-harm trigger warning (end of the chapter) *

Rylan and Adeline eventually made their way back downstairs, Rylan's family looking slightly worried. He sighed.

"I'm sorry. I just went a bit too far. I'm getting there, but I pushed myself over my limit." He apologized and Jess came and hugged him, comforting him for a few seconds. He wasn't particularly happy in the hug, but he accepted it all the same.

"Thank you for telling me when you need to give her back, you did amazing. She's going to love you so much." She told him, walking back over to the sofas.

Rylan put his hand behind Adeline's waist, kissing her forehead.

Rylan kept their standing position for a while, listening in to the family's conversations.

Adeline's cautious hands rested very lightly on Rylan. He looked down and she was practically hovering over his side.

"You can touch me, I'm okay." He told her quietly and she looked concerned.

"Where?" She mouthed and he took her hand, placing it on his abdomen lightly.

"There's fine, just don't press too hard or move up to my chest, beautiful. Not yet." Rylan told her, he wanted to make her feel comfortable but still had his limits.

His eyes were still puffy, and he tried to distract himself, offering to help move Adeline into his room. He thought it was a bit soon, but they had no choice now.

She hadn't unpacked, so it made it easier when most of her stuff was still in her main suitcase. Her other things had been in boxes.

"Do you have more stuff at your parents?" Rylan asked.

"I had already moved out." She told him and he looked shocked.

"Really? My parents would never let me leave as soon as they got me back." He admitted and Adeline gave him a sympathetic smile. It was nice to get to know her, he thought.

"I moved into a small flat with one of my friends, but her boyfriend moved in so I kind of just picked up my stuff when we realized I was moving here, I gathered you wouldn't have minded me moving straight in, well... sort of." She smiled and he shook his head.

"Of course not." He told her, making room in his wardrobe for her things. "How did you know I was... like... Your mate?" He asked and she smiled, thinking about it.

"My dad had been on a business meeting with our alpha, he was part of the committee so he when he came here on a business meeting to see your dad, I wanted to come with him to see the pack and explore. Long story short, I bumped into your dad and my wolf sensed my mate, obviously from your dad. They looked into it, and when you were out one time, they brought me here and we realized it was you." She explained and he just nodded.

"Then they warned me of everything that had happened to you and tried to keep you from noticing for a while, but I was getting impatient, I really wanted to meet you." She mumbled and Rylan nodded.

"TYLERS HERE." Rylan's dad shouted up the stairs.

"We'll go down in a minute," Rylan mumbled, tiredly.

"Hey, come here." Adeline held up her arms and wrapped them around Rylan's neck, letting him hug her back. This was starting to feel normal.

"Don't push yourself, if you need to calm down, just exit politely as you did earlier. You don't have to hold the kids, you'll be fine, okay?" She told him and he nodded.

He held her chin with two fingers lightly, and caressed her cheek, calming himself with a kiss.

"I could get used to this." He mumbled, pulling away properly and taking her hand, leading her down the stairs.