Chapter 23 | sickly

As you typed away at your computer, taking a look at Misa on the other screen every so often, you found yourself beginning to feel your nose become blocked one minute and runny the next, resulting in you sniffing every few seconds.

Just as L thought, you were getting sick. You were beginning to get a sore throat and you felt a little nauseous, making you ignore the cupcake that sat in front of you. You feared that if you ate it, you'd throw it back up.

You were snapped out of your thoughts by a tap on your shoulder, you turned your head to the right to see L had appeared next to you.

"You haven't eaten anything all day, are you feeling alright?"

You shook your head and sniffed again.

L's cold hands made contact with your forehead, his facial expression went from worried to worried boyfriend.

"You're quite hot... hold on" he said.

You watched as he got up and walked to the kitchen to grab a thermometer, he returned with a thermometer and some bottles of medicine. You opened your mouth and he placed the thermometer under your tongue and you closed your mouth. You listened for the beep to indicate your temperature.

It beeped soon after and L took the thermometer from your mouth. He looked at the temperature and frowned.

"That's not good..." he mumbled to himself.

You instantly felt bad for making him worry about you, you wanted to pass on your sickness to someone else ASAP.

"Do you feel nauseous?"

You nodded slightly and leaned back against the sofa.

"Do you have a sore throat or stomach?"

You nodded again.

L picked up a bottle of medicine and the little cup that went with it. He poured some into the cup asn handed it to you.

"Ew" you said in a croaky voice.

"I know it's ew, but you have to drink it" he said, gently rubbing your arm.

You chugged it down and took a sip of water to wash the taste down. You gave L back the little cup and he put it in the pile of dishes that was forming on the table.

"Alright you have to go get some sleep" he said.

"B-but the case!" You protested.

"Your health is more important, come on"

He helped you up and put an arm around you.

"Matsuda" L said.

"Yes Ryuzaki?" Matsuda replied.

"Fill in for Ayano for a while, she's not feeling well and has a high temperature"

"Ok, I hope you feel better Ayano"

"Thanks" you said, before breaking into a coughing fit.

L rubbed your back gently and took you to your room where he tucked you in and gave you a kiss on the forehead.

"I'd love to stay and comfort you, but sadly no one can know about us" L said.

"Can you try and come in later tonight?"

"I can try..."

You smiled at L and he smiled back at you.

"Get some rest sweetheart, just shout if you need me"

You smiled as L turned and walked out, closing the door behind him. You still felt bad about not being able to help with the case, so you grabbed your phone and began to stalk news articles about Kira.

Hopefully L wouldn't mind if you went to sleep later...