Chapter 46 | the time has come

It was finally time. Today was the day Light would make his move, both death notes are in the police forces possession and both shinigami are hanging around HQ. You? You were hiding in the rafters of the roof, waiting to strike.

You watched closely as the taskforce worked and examined the notes as well as talking to the shinigami. You watched though a hole in the roof and waited for your signal.

When a commotion starts you can be sure that it's time. It was boring and dark in the roof, you just sat there other your death scythe in your lap and waited. You adjusted your glasses and saw one Rem turn to Light. You took a closer look and listened in. You were too far away to hear anything, but when you saw rem pull out her death note, you knew what was going to happen.

Suddenly the screens went red and and all data deletion popped up on screen. That could only mean... WATARI! You didn't know he'd be killed!

"No... no no no!" You said to yourself.

You took a breath. You had to stay strong.

"THE SHINIGAMI! WHERE IS IT?" L exclaimed.

You looked over at Light who looked shocked and frustrated as he watched L walk around perfectly fine.

"HOW IS HE NOT DEAD!"

And he cracked. Time for you entrance.

You took your death scythe and sawed through the roof, making part of it fall in. You jumped down with it and landed gracefully.

"I knew it was you, Light Yagami!"

Everyone started in shock.

"(Y/n)? But you died!" Matsuda said.

"I wasn't dead for long"

"A reaper, interesting" the shinigami by Light said.

"So shinigami, would you care to take your death notes and leave"

"Not until I see how this ends"

"IMPOSSIBLE! YOU SHOT YOURSELF YOU'RE DEAD!" Light exclaimed.

"Actually Light, I am dead. I'm not human anymore, I'm a grim reaper, humans who kill them selves become grim reapers, as a punishment" you explained.

Everyone just started in shock.

"Now, care to explain what you meant by 'how is he not dead?"

"I just-"

He stopped himself. You smirked evilly.

"You would only say that if you planned to have L killed. As you can see he's alive and well. And it's all because of me"

You pulled out your death note and opened the first page.

"As you can see, four incorrect names have been put on the page. Not by me, by random people, when a name is misspelled four times, that person is immune to death by the death note" you explained.

"LIES! IM BEING FRAMED!"

"HOW COULD YOU!"

Everyone turned to look at Matsuda, why had just stepped forward in anger.

"YOU WERE KIRA ALL ALONG! YOU'RE A MONSTER KILLING HALF THE POPULATION!" He exclaimed.

"Light, you're under arrest" L said, putting him into handcuffs.

"THIS IS ALL A SET UP!"

"What more of a confession do we need light, it's clear you had planned to kill L with the same method used to kill everyone else" L said.

Light suddenly looked toward the door and made a break for it, only to be shot on the leg by matsuda.

You rushed over to matsuda and pulled the gun off him.

"Woah! Not yet..." you said.

"MATSUDA YOU IDIOT! DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE SHOOTING AT!"

"A CRIMINAL WORSE THAN ANY OF THE ONES YOU KILLED!"

Well... who knew mastuda could be this angry.

"MISA! KILL THEM ALL, YOU LOVE ME! JUST DO IT!"

"I'm sorry Light..." she said.

"You see light, Misa was the reason we could do this. You may be her lover, but her best friend came first" you said.

"YOU MORON!"

"Light..."

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!"

"BECAUSE YOU MANIPULATED ME INTO A KILLER!" Misa screamed.

Everyone looked over at Misa and the next thing you knew she was in handcuffs too.

"Listen guys, we have special punishment for Misa since she helped us, lever her to us. As for Light..." L said.

"Mr. Yagami, I know this must be hard. But he's the one we've been after. He will go into confinement" you said.

Suddenly laughter was heard echoing through the room. Everyone turned to look at the shinigami, the one that hadn't turned to dust.

"Well, Light. It's been interesting" he said.

"RYUK! KILL THEM. WHAT IS THAT MEANT TO ME-"

Suddenly Light was just off and he began to gasp for air, he was having a heart attack. Ironic for the killer to go the same way as the victims.

Everyone rushed over but you and L, you just watched as the shinigami flew off and light slowly met his end.

"LIGHT!" Misa screamed, dropping to her knees and crying.

So there he lay, with a heart that could no longer beat. Kira was dead. Everyone was at a loss for words. But you had strict instructions to carry out.

You walked over and looked down at his body.

"I'm sorry you all have to see this, but it's my job as a reaper, I have to set his soul free"

You switched on your circular saw and cut him right through the heart, film strip like records shot out showing Lights whole life.

"These will be taken to the record library" you said, pulling them into a book and closing it.

"So that's it? Kiras dead..." matsuda said.

"Case closed, looks like justice did prevail after all" L said.

"WAIT! HOW ARE YOU ALIVE! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!" Matsuda exclaimed, making everyone look over at you.

"As I said, I'm dead. I'm a grim reaper now. I wanted to keep it a secret but that damn shinigami spoiled it" you said.

"Grim reaper... so they're real too?"

"Very real"

"You gave your life, to save L?"

"If he had died, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself, I was willing to trade my life to save him. That's how much he means to me... I'll do whatever it takes to keep him safe..."