Chapter 37 | grim reaper

Today was the day you had hope in your plan. Had hope in L's survival, and it was all thanks to Misa.

"Can Ayano and I go shopping?" Was the first step to getting the instructions to this mess. You agreed in an instant, and soon found yourself sitting in an empty park.

"Ayano"

"Yes?"

"You've met Rem haven't you?"

Your face lit up. You were finally going to get help.

"Yes, she said you were recruited by the second Kira" you said.

"Yes, I was. Although I'm not sure you'll be keeping a smile after what I have to say" she said.

Your smile dropped. 

"What is it?"

"Well... you see... the only way to save L, is to own a death note yourself, but there's a catch. You can't have one dropped by a shinigami, it has to be your own"

"Wait- Death Note?"

"It's the weapon Kira uses to kill. It's a notebook in which you write someone's name and they die of a heart attack within 40 seconds"

"So that's how he kills..."

"Yes, but listen. The only way to own a death note yourself is to become a shinigami. That happens when you die. But in order for you to save L you have to become a grim reaper... that's what I've been told" Misa said.

"Aren't they the same thing?"

"Kind of... shinigami like Rem kill people when the time is right and collect the lifespans of humans. Grim reapers are actually quite human like, they collect souls and send them to the afterlife"

"How do you become a grim reaper? I don't care what I have to do to save L" you said.

"Well..."

Misa sighed and paused for a moment.

"You really love him, don't you?"

"Yes, I've loved him ever since I was little, I was shattered when he left to become a detective, and the fact I got the chance to see him again, and be with him means the world to me. I can't live without him..." you said.

"When you say anything, do you really men if?"

"Absolutely anything?"

"Yes"

"Well... the only way to become a grim reaper... is..."

"Yes?"

You could feel the tension in the air. This would be bad, you knew it. But you have to do it. Even if it means becoming a grim reaper. You'd do anyone for L. Misa looked you dead in they eye, she was 1000% serious about what she said.

"The one way to become a grim reaper, is to... kill yourself"