Chapter 38 | over and done with

Those words rung in your head... kill yourself. It was the only way to become a grim reaper. The only way to save L. You loved L from the bottom of your heart, but were you really willing to kill yourself?

You walked back into the monitor room and sighed.

"L, I really need to talk to you..."

He got up and followed you out the room, into yours.

"I know how to save you" you said.

"You do? See I knew you'd figure it out!" He said.

"There's a catch"

He tilted his head in confusion.

You sat him down on the bed and you looked him dead in the eye. If I have a Death Note, which is the weapon Kira uses to kill, I can save you. I'd have to get someone to write your name four times incorrectly on the pages. Then you'd be free of death by a death note. The catch is, the notebook has to be mine. And in order to get one, I have to become a grim reaper"

"Isn't that a shinigami? Like the ones you've been seeing?"

"No, there's a difference. Shinigami feed on lifespans, grim reapers collect souls. Shinigami can see someone name above their head and grim reapers can't. The shiningami have Death Notes and grim reapers have Death Sythes, as well as a Death Note" you explained.

"Ok, that seems logical, what's the bad part?" L asked.

"You only have about two weeks left if I don't act. The only way I can become a grim reaper isn't very pretty, but I'd do anything for you even become a grim reaper"

"You're killing me already, just tell me"

You looked him dead in they eye, making his expression turned to a worried one.

"The only way to become a grim reaper... is to... kill myself" you said.

"WHAT!? (Y/N) NO!"

"It's the only way! I'll come back! When I die because of myself I'm being punished to live for eternity by becoming a grim reaper. I'll come back to you I will!"

"Y-YOU CAN'T!"

"I have to! I don't want to, but it's the only way I can keep you alive. Please L just let me save you!"

"NO! PLEASE NO THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER WAY PLEASE!" He exclaimed, tears falling from his eyes.

"I'm sorry! But it's all I can do. I'll still love you, I'll remember you, I'll come back. I promise" you said.

You bought L into a tight hug as you tried to comfort him.

"Please don't..."

"But I can't bare to see you dead. If I do this, I'll come back because I have unfinished business and when I save you I'll be a grim reaper forever. I'll still have the form of a human, and still have the same amount of love for you. The only difference will be the power to reap souls and own a death note" you said.

"(Y/n)... no..."

"Lawliet, listen to me. I'll be back. I'm scared about this, I really am. But I want to save you so badly. Here's my plan: I'll kill myself and come back as a grim reaper. We'll have a funeral and everything, but when the come comes for you to die, I'll come back and say it was a fake death, when Light sees you aren't dead, we'll have all the proof we need that he's Kira. And he'll be arrested or killed, whatever his sentence is" you explained.

"But (y/n)-"

"L... I'm doing this for you..."

"Will you really come back?"

"I promise I will, we still have to get married remember?"

L took a deep breath and looked you dead in they eye.

"Ok..."