Chapter Two - Lonely Night

Jack is perfectly content to sit in an abandoned building, his fingers intertwined with Mark's and his head resting on the hero's shoulder. Jack doesn't notice the sun sinking below the wall. His focus is entirely on Mark, who speaks softly about the events following that last battle. The villain feels like he's sitting in a dream and that at any moment, he'll wake up and be thrown back into the horrific reality he had left.

"It's getting dark," Mark comments, glancing towards the dim windows.

Jack nods, disappointment stewing in his gut. "I have to get back..." More than anything, he would love to stay with Mark. However, after three months of Jack barely leaving the base, the boss would definitely have suspicions if he was suddenly out all night and came back well-rested.

Mark sighs heavily and stands, helping the Irishman to his feet. Jack keeps his hand firmly clenched in his, afraid that if he lets go, Mark will disappear.

"I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" the hero says, tracing the villain's jaw with his thumb. "I'll bring you to our base and you can get some sleep."

"Okay." Jack feels his throat closing up and swallows, pulling Mark into his arms as he tries to fight another onslaught of tears. "You're not going to be dead tomorrow morning, will you?"

Mark hugs back and presses a kiss to the top of his head. "Of course not."

Jack nods and the hero steps back, his eyes never wandering from the villain's. Every step away from him looks like a struggle, and after a moment, Jack sprints over and throws his arms around him again.

"I just got you back," he cries, his fingers twisting into Mark's suit. "I can't..."

"Shh," Mark murmurs. "One night. Can you make it through one night?"

"Y-yeah. I think so."

"Okay." The hero smiles and presses a gentle kiss to the villain's lips. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Jack nods and turns, racing off at the speed of sound before he has a chance to throw himself at Mark again. Tears flood down his face, although he isn't sure whether they're happy or sad tears. The wind that rushes around him dries his face, so much so that when he reaches the institute, he's just dry sobbing.

He moves down the hallway towards his room, holding back his emotion just long enough to shut his door. That's when he lets himself break down. Mark is alive. Mark didn't die. The heroes aren't gone. How is he supposed to spend another night here?

When he finally pulls himself under control, he crawls under his covers and lies there, staring at the blank white wall. The colourlessness, the quiet; Jack has never hated it more than he does right now. There's nothing to distract him from his thoughts, which are focused entirely on Mark being alive and the horrendous silence that has filled the halls for the past three months. He still expects Dan to walk through the door of his bedroom, asking him where he's been and teasing him about Mark. He expects to wake up in the morning and see Matthew and Stephanie eating breakfast together, talking and laughing like they used to. That never happens anymore. Matthew usually sits on the couch in their little living room, spaced out as he stares at the wall. Cry barely leaves his room, and when he does, it's to either get food or go out on the boss' orders. Jack usually does everything in his power to avoid interaction, and when he does interact with the other villains, their voices are soft and quiet. They're each other's only supports and most of the time, the only conversations they have in a day are with one another.

Jack can't seem to wrap his mind around the fact that Mark is actually alive. After months of heartache, the hero is back in his life. His story still echoes in Jack's mind, louder and more prominent in the silence of the institute.

Phil getting to him a moment before his heart stops beating.

Mark being unconscious on and off for a month.

The heroes hiding in an underground base because it was, and is, too dangerous for them to have an above-ground hideout.

Jack exhales heavily, rubbing his tired eyes as his mind races. San Francisco is a mess right now. The citizens are afraid, rebel groups are everywhere, and the heroes aren't strong enough yet to make a comeback. The NAI controls the entire city with an iron fist.

Jack already knows he's not going to sleep tonight.