Chapter Twenty-Six - Meeting the Rebels

It takes a while, but eventually Jack is calm enough to stand and have some semblance of a normal day. Mark is there when his thoughts become too much and he dances on the brink of a meltdown, which helps his overall sanity significantly. Even the night goes fairly smoothly, with only one incident involving Jack and a nightmare about the boss, Anti, and Dan.

The morning brings with it an unexpected and unwelcome surprise. Jack sits at the table, sipping on a mug of coffee when Matthias strolls in, trailed by four rebels. The villain watches them a moment longer before sprinting to his and Mark's room, his heart starting to pound in his ears.

"Mark, there's a bunch of rebels out there and I'm pretty sure they saw me and that they hate me—" Jack rambles the moment he shuts the door behind him. His sudden entrance makes the hero jump and drop the shirt he was about to put on.

"Jack, I'm gonna need to start using my powers on you if you keep doing things like that," Mark says, laughing breathlessly as he bends to pick his shirt up. "You're too speedy!"

"Mark, there are rebels out there. Rebels," Jack squeaks, his hands fidgeting at his sides. "You know, the people whose goal in life is to kill me."

The hero's face falls as realization floods his eyes. "Jack, I was going to tell you but I completely forgot. I'm so sorry..."

Jack watches him, his heart thudding faster and faster in his chest. "Mark, Mark, they can't... they hate..."

"Breathe, remember to breathe." The hero steps toward him and Jack's eyes are immediately drawn to the bullet scar on his stomach. Mark notices his gaze and tilts the villain's chin up so he's forced to look at his eyes. "Look at my eyes, Jack. Not the scars."

The Irishman locks eyes with the hero, regaining the ability to breathe right the moment he loses himself in those brown eyes. Mark trails his fingers down Jack's jaw, his thumbs ghosting over his ears.

"Should I go back to the NAI if there are rebels here?" Jack asks, unable to hide the tremble in his voice.

"No. Jack, you're our ally. You deserve to be there," Mark replies. "You can stay behind me if you're scared, okay? But you should be present."

Jack nods and reaches up, covering Mark's hands with his own. He turns his head a little in order to press a kiss to the hero's palm, his eyes fluttering shut. "I love you."

"I love you too," Mark murmurs, touching his forehead to Jack's. "Let's go out there, okay? I'll be beside you the whole time."

The Irishman nods and pecks his lips before allowing Mark to lead him from their room. Jack's hand remains firmly clutched in his as they walk to the dining room, the villain sticking close behind Mark. Phil and Felix already stand there, eyeing the rebels warily.

"Ah, good of you two to join us," Matthias says with a prideful grin. He gestures to the four people behind him, pointing to each one as he says their names. "I would like you all to meet Lili, Gunner, Hudson, and Red, a local rebel group. I figured that teaming up with them would help us in the long run, so I want you to make them feel welcome. Besides, the testosterone levels in here are ridiculous, so some girls might balance it out a bit."

Lili giggles and covers her mouth while Red maintains a straight face, her eyes flickering from hero to hero without acknowledging the villain among them. Jack presses himself against Mark's back, peeking out over his shoulder and trying desperately to avoid her penetrating gaze.

"Nice to meet you," Mark greets, shaking their hands one by one.

"I'm Gunner," a tall, burly man with dark skin says. "I'll hopefully be helping Matthias out."