Chapter Four - Heroes and Tension

After a bit more cuddling, Mark and Jack finally pry themselves away from each other in favour of some food. While they're standing in the kitchen, talking and drinking coffee, Felix wanders in from outside. He kicks off his shoes, only noticing Jack when he turns around. The villain and hero lock eyes, and Felix's body immediately tenses.

"What is he doing here?" the Swede asks tersely, his gaze flicking to Mark for a moment.

"We're hanging out," Mark replies, shifting slightly to cover Jack with his body.

Felix's jaw clenches. "He's not staying, is he?"

"No, I'm not," Jack replies before Mark has a chance to speak again. The American glances at him for a split second, and Felix scoffs lightly before sulking off to his room.

The moment Felix is gone, Mark turns to the Irishman. "You're not staying the night?"

Jack shakes his head a little, shifting in place and avoiding the hero's pleading eyes. "I want to, but... I can't. Not yet. The boss would be too suspicious, and I'm obviously not wanted here."

"I want you here."

"I know. A-and I want to stay here, but..." Jack shakes his head, raking his fingers through his hair. "Mark, I don't know what to do. I'm tied down by the institute, and there's not much I can do to help myself." He can feel his heart starting to pound, but he forces the anxiety down. He will not have another panic attack on his first day back with Mark.

The American frowns lightly, Jack's change in breathing not going unnoticed. Gently, he pulls the villain into his arms and holds his head against his shoulder. "Hey, it's okay. Will you be better fit to stay in a few days?"

"I-I think so," Jack whispers. "That'll work."

"Good. In the meantime, let's watch a movie and settle, okay?" Mark's smile wavers slightly, but he tries his best to maintain it. "And don't worry about Felix. He just has rough days sometimes."

Jack nods and lets Mark lead him to the couch. After setting up a movie with as little blood or guns as possible, they snuggle up beside each other on the couch to watch. Phil and Matthias eventually come in from outside, kicking off their shoes and walking over to the living room. They look a bit shocked to see Jack there, but don't comment.

"How is it out there?" Mark asks, glancing up at them.

"Same as usual," Phil replies, sighing.

"Of course." The American exhales heavily and slumps against the couch, his eyes flickering with an exhaustion and pain that's obvious in his very bones. Jack glances over at him, tightening his fingers against his side. Matthias and Phil retire to their rooms, and as soon as they're gone Jack leans against Mark.

"Hey, you okay?" he asks softly.

Mark looks over at him, brown eyes locking with blue. "Um, yeah. Sorry... It's fine." He shifts uncomfortably, sneaking his fingers beneath the hem of the Irishman's shirt. "Um, how's the institute? Has it gotten better or worse since the battle?"

Jack tenses involuntarily, his breath hitching in his throat. How does he tell Mark about the institute without making him freak out? How does he recount the tales of the boss and the pain that him and his "brothers" experience on a day to day basis without breaking Mark's heart?

"It's okay," Jack replies, his voice tight.

The hero frowns, but doesn't press him on the subject. Instead, he cuddles closer to the Irishman's side and rests his head on his shoulder, returning his gaze to the TV. Jack's heart rate returns to normal as he rests his cheek on Mark's hair, taking deep, calming breaths. He's fine. Nobody needs to know.

A few hours later, Jack is heading towards the door with Mark on his heels. Leaving was inevitable, but it still hurts to go. The hero reaches out and grabs his wrist, his brown eyes desperate.

"Mark, I have to go," Jack says, trying to hide the emotion in his voice. He knows what awaits him at the institute, and it's not pretty.

Mark's face falls and he lets his hand drop to his side. "I just... it would be so much better if you were here. You'd be safe."

"I know." Jack sighs heavily and steps forward, pressing a quick kiss to his lips. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah."

The Irishman turns on his heel and sprints from the base before he can stop himself. He wants to stay with Mark all the time. Knowing he's alive and being unable to be with him all the time hurts him more than he would like to say.

He slows himself down, reaching the institute and slipping inside. As he moves down the hallway, Cry jogs up to him. Although he can't see the face of the brunet, he can sense that something is wrong.

"Jack, you came back at a bad time," he says, his tone riddled with anxiety.

"Why? What happened?" the Irishman demands, his eyebrows furrowing.

Cry shifts in place, exhaling heavily. "My dad. He's on a rampage, and he wants every available villain in his office."

"I can leave again..."

"No, you can't." The masked villain gestures to a camera, high on the wall with its lens pointed directly at the door. "He already knows you're back."

Jack tenses considerably. He's not used to the cameras yet. They're a recent addition to the institute, and he hates them. "Well, shit."

Cry clenches his fists at his side. "Yep. Let's go."