Chapter Fifty-Three - Interrogation

The little piece of safety that Mark and Jack had created for themselves is destroyed half an hour later. The moment the lock on the door clicks, Jack is bolting upright and sitting himself down on the other bed they provided, attempting to flatten his messy hair all the while. Mark sits up as well, his heart sinking.

The barrier behind Jack's eyes, the one that he's spent years building up and only takes down for certain people, makes his gaze grow cold and indifferent. Mark wants to shake him and kiss him and make that expression melt away.

The cronies enter the room and drag the hero and villain down the hallway to UR #1, or as Jack likes to call it, Torture Room #1. The closer the room gets the harder Mark's heart pounds, filling his entire head with the sound of his pulse. He can see the subtle changes in Jack's body as well; the stiffening of his muscles, the ragged breathing, the way he keeps trying to glance back and meet Mark's eyes. Panic is settling in and Mark can't do ANYTHING.

The door of UR #1 opens and the hero and villain are seated in separate chairs. Their hands are promptly chained behind their backs as Mr. Vincent walks in, smiling greasily at them.

"So good to finally have you in," he says, his gaze nothing but sinister. "Seán."

"Damien," the Irishman nearly spits.

"And let me guess... this is Mark," Mr. Vincent replies. "Did Seán ever tell you that Jack isn't his name?"

"Yup. He also told me that because certain people have used it, he now goes exclusively by Jack," Mark replies with a glare. "That includes you."

Mr. Vincent chuckles, the sound void of anything but annoyance. "Already sassing me, are we, hero? That's a reckless thing to do. I can see why Seán likes you."

Mark quirks his eyebrow for a moment, but says nothing. Vincent sighs and folds his hands behind his back, facing the two supers.

"I am not here to chat. I need answers that you will give me before we're through today. Got it?"

"Good luck with that," Jack replies. He glances over at Mark with a small smirk and the hero feels the corner of his mouth twitch upwards. He loves when Jack gets sassy.

Vincent scowls. "Enough! What are the heroes planning?"

"I'm so convinced, Vincent. Let me just tell you our entire plan spread out before you because people are NEVER caught monologuing EVER," Mark says, earning a snort from Jack.

The punch comes in a split second, sending Mark reeling back in his chair. The sound of ringing in his ears is accompanied by Jack's yell, and Mark nearly laughs from pure shock. He moves to wipe his nose, but when he feels the restraints around his wrists, sighs and lets the blood trickle down to his lip. Jack glares daggers at Mr. Vincent, tugging relentlessly at the chains holding him back.

"Let's try that again. What are your plans and who are you working with?" the advisor demands.

"Once again, you're making it really easy for us to not tell you," Jack replies.

"Fine. If you don't want to spare yourselves, I'll make it so you're begging to let me know all of your plans."

He takes a handful of Jack's hair in his hand and yanks his head back, earning a strangled yell from Mark. The villain's chest rises and falls faster with every second, his eyes trained on the ceiling. The advisor's eyebrows raise at the sound of Mark's distress and a devious smile crosses his face.

"Wait a second... Are you two... involved with one another?"

"No," Jack lies, his voice strained.