Chapter Thirty-Seven - Plan of Attack

"Mark, you awake?"

The hero opens his eyes slowly and glances over at Jack, yawning as he trails his fingers up the villain's side. The Irishman's blue eyes are filled with worry, shaking a bit more of the sleepiness from Mark.

"Yeah, I'm awake. What's up?"

"Matthias said the rebels are coming over in the morning," Jack replies. He bites his lip. "I'm sorry if I woke you up."

"Jack, it's okay." Mark runs his fingers along a groove in the villain's back, maintaining eye contact the whole time. "You don't need to worry about the rebels. Lili is cool with it, remember? And Hudson is curious, but not opposed, and Gunner is cautious but open-minded. Red is the only one you have to worry about, and I'll be right beside you the whole time. No more running, remember?"

Jack nods a little, still apprehensive as he settles back into bed again. He exhales heavily and scoots closer, tucking his head under Mark's chin. The hero buries his nose in the villain's hair, his eyes fluttering shut again. Jack's breathing doesn't become even, however, and before long Mark is opening his eyes again.

"What's up, Jack?" he asks.

The villain exhales. "I'm worrying. I'm telling myself not to worry but my mind is going through everything that could possibly go wrong."

Mark exhales through his nose, a light smile on his face as he kisses Jack's head and nuzzles into his hair. "Sleep, Jack. It's going to be fine."

The Irishman sighs and presses impossibly closer to Mark, breathing in the scent of the hero's shirt. Mark stays awake until he feels Jack fall asleep, and the moment he does he finally lets himself drop off to sleep as well.

When the morning rolls around, Jack is out of bed before Mark wakes up. The villain gets ready quickly, trying to dress as little like a "villain" as possible, and presses a kiss to Mark's forehead before going into the kitchen to make breakfast. Phil is already awake, staring into space as he waits for the water in his kettle to boil. The two remain in silence as they prepare their morning meals, with Phil moving off to the dining room when he's finished and Jack staying in the kitchen to eat.

Just as he finishes, there's a knock on the door and Matthias opens it, letting the rebels spill into the base. Red glares daggers at him and storms off immediately, but the others aren't so quick to leave.

"Hey Jack! How are Matthew and Cry?" Lili asks with a small smile.

"They're good," Jack whispers.

"That's good."

Hudson watches Jack with wide eyes for a second before he finally finds it in him to speak. "Are all the rumours true? Can you really wipe out an entire rebel group in a single blow? Do your eyes glow?!"

The villain shakes his head a little, his green hair falling into his eyes. "We don't really wipe people out at all anymore and my eye only glows when I'm running."

"Really?! That's so cool!" Hudson exclaims. "What colour?"

"The iris is green, my sclerae turns black."

"Cool..."

Gunner places his hands on the Canadian's shoulders and guides him away, sending a hesitant smile in Jack's direction. The villain ducks his head, wanting nothing more than to disappear. He occupies himself with cleaning the dishes or other mindless tasks until Mark walks in, ruffling his hair and stretching.

"I'm proud of you," he murmurs, hugging the villain from the back and pressing a kiss to the side of his neck.

Jack frowns slightly, although the kiss makes him smile. "Why?"