Chapter Nine - A Safe Haven Filled With Secrets

Mark moves away from Jack, his stomach churning.  This was exactly what he feared.  Something happened to the villain and there was no way for him to help.  If he had just stayed with him in the hero's base, he would have been okay!  Mark ruffles his hair and steps into the kitchen, where Felix occupies himself with the coffee maker.

    "When did he get here?" the Swede demands, shooting Mark a stern look as he digs around in the cabinets for a mug.

    "A little while ago.  He was in a complete panic," the American replies.

    The two heroes lock eyes and almost immediately, the room fills with tension.  Stiffly, Felix places his mug on the counter and turns to face Mark, his jaw clenched.  His hands are balled into fists and rest on the counter as he leans forward, speaking so that the Irishman in the living room nearby can't hear.

    "Mark, I know what you're thinking.  We can't have him here," Felix snarls under his breath.  Through the doorway he can see the living room and his blue eyes immediately dart towards Jack, who sits curled up on the couch with his face pressed against his knees.  After a moment, he looks back to the hero in front of him.  "I know you want him to, but he can't stay here."

    "Where is he supposed to go?" Mark demands.  "Back to the institute?"

    Felix raises his eyebrows and fills his cup with coffee.  "Yeah.  He's a villain."

    "He can't sleep there.  It's just... he thought he killed me, Felix.  And now, he's just been through Hell and back."  Mark sighs angrily and runs his fingers through his hair.  "Just, let him stay for a few days.  He won't be a disturbance, I swear."

    "I'm not worried about him being a disturbance," Felix retorts.  "I'm worried about him finding out our plans and racing back to his boss.  I'm worried that that... monster... inside him is going to kill another one of us."

    "I killed Anti.  Felix, he's gone.  Jack isn't going to hurt any of us."

    Felix crosses his arms and scowls.  "The villains have hurt us, Mark.  Countless times.  I can't just say he's innocent."

    "Fine.  Don't call him innocent because he's not.  He's damaged beyond belief."  The American glances over at the Irishman for a moment, who still has his face pressed hard against his knees as he gently rocks back and forth.  Every inhale and exhale looks like a struggle, causing Mark's heart to break all over again.  "Let him stay because he needs me and I need him.  Do this for me.  Please."

    Felix looks over at the Irishman and a look of pity flickers in his eyes.  "Fine.  I'm doing this for you, Mark, and that doesn't mean I have to like it.  And, if he does anything that jeopardizes our safety, he's out."

    The American breathes a sigh of relief and ruffles his hair before letting his hand fall to his side again.  "Thank you."

    Felix scowls.  "Whatever.  Don't mention it." 

    With that, he grabs his coffee and stalks off to his room with his shoulders hunched.  Mark watches him go before moving to Jack's side, kneeling down and placing a hand on the Irishman's arm.  Jack tenses the moment he touches him, his rocking ceasing almost immediately.  Slowly, he looks up and locks eyes with Mark.

    "Are you okay?" the hero murmurs softly, running his thumb back and forth over Jack's shoulder.

    "Um, I think so," Jack replies just as quietly.

    "You can stay here if you want.  With me.  In safety."

    The villain shakes his head slightly, attempting to hide his face in his knees.  "He doesn't want me here.  I... can go back to the institute.  I don't want to make your teammates miserable."