Chapter Sixty-Three - Victory

When Mr. Vincent arrives, Cry hides his backpack under his father's desk and sits on the wooden surface. He flips his mask down as the advisor storms in, already mad for reasons unexplained until he opens his mouth.

"Why is Jack's eye normal!? I need that stupid demon to kill the heroes because you and Matthew are too useless to do it for me! Your father would be so disappointed in you, Cole. So disappointed. How could you let the institute fall apart like this!?" Mr. Vincent exclaims, but Cry cuts him off.

"Damien, shut your goddamn mouth."

"Why, you little..." the advisor seethes, taking a few threatening steps towards Cry. He stops in his tracks, however, when the villain pulls out his gun and cocks it. He can feel his hands shaking from both terror and rage, but he doesn't falter. He can't falter, or he'll continue to get abused and walked on his entire life.

"You have abused us and beaten us. You've given us scars and emotional wounds that will never heal. You and my father were exactly the same," Cry states, struggling to keep his voice steady.

"You can't do this, Cole. You're a scared little boy who's a slave to his father and to me."

"I'm not a slave anymore, Damien." He hops down off his desk and Mr. Vincent backs up.

"You need me. You're nothing without me," the advisor insists.

"I have one last thing to say to you, Damien..."

The advisor's eyes widen and Cry's lip twitches upwards.

"Bye, bitch."

The gunshot echoes through the office and Mr. Vincent slumps to the floor, blood oozing from the hole in his head. The villain lets the gun fall from his hand and backs away, trembling and nauseous. He expected to feel a rush of adrenaline and a sense of victory, but he just feels sick. He's no better than the faceless man who shot Dan through the skull. He may even be worse than Mr. Vincent because at least the advisor never killed anyone.

He moves to the window and peers out, only to see the heroes running down the street towards the institute. Cry takes a deep breath and shuts the blinds before pulling his mask up, letting his gentle glow fill the room. He settles into his chair and watches the door.

Let them come.

——

Adrenaline pumps through Mark's veins as he and the other heroes charge towards the institute, rebels at their sides. As the doors grow closer the rebels break off from the group and raise their weapons, guarding the doors against anyone who may try to combat them. Felix shoves the door open, expecting it to be locked, and sends it flying backwards. It slams into the wall behind it and the bang echoes down the hallway, causing all the heroes to jump.

"Nice one, Felix," Matthias comments into their earpieces.

"Sorry, but why wasn't it locked?!" Felix replies.

Mark hushes them and steps inside, stopping when he sees Jack standing casually against the wall. A bag hangs off his shoulder and he steps towards them, holding his hands out.

"Do what you will," he says.

Phil steps forward and takes one of three pairs of handcuffs from his bag, clipping a pair around Jack's wrists. The villain doesn't even fight it.

"This is merely for appearances," the Brit says and Jack nods.

The group continues down the hall and the Irishman takes his spot beside Mark. The American glances down at him and resists the urge to kiss his cheek.