Chapter Thirty-Five - Phone Call

Rain splatters the concrete and thunder rumbles through the ash-coloured sky as Mark sits outside the front door, protected from the downpour by the small awning. His arms are wrapped tightly around his knees as he stares up at the sky, his heart aching and his eyes burning with tears that can't seem to fall. It's been three days since he last saw Jack, and it's his fault Jack left in the first place. Mark runs his fingers through his hair, a long, shaky sigh escaping his lips.

A bolt of lightning cuts through the grey sky and sends a jolt through Mark. Jack is afraid of storms like this. And he's alone. Something snaps inside the hero and he reaches into his pocket, pulling out his phone and searching desperately through his contacts. Lili got Matthew's number so she could check up on him, and she gave it to Mark so he could have some way of reaching the villains. He wasn't going to use it and irritate Matthew, but he can't help it. He needs to see Jack and Matthew is the only one who's allowed to have his own tech.

Mark taps his fingers on his legs, his phone pressed to his ear as he listens to the ring and tries not to freak out. He's absolutely insane for doing this, but he needs to. It's been too long.

"Hello?"

"Matthew." The villain's name escapes him before anything else, but he doesn't bother correcting himself. The longer he thinks about Jack, the more anxious he gets. "It's Mark. I know this is really freaking weird, but I have a massive favour to ask."

"Ok?" Matthew replies. "What is it? And how did you get my number?"

"Lili gave it to me. I'm sorry, but I need to see Jack. I haven't heard anything and I'm scared. Please, Matthew, I know him. He probably hasn't slept in a week and he's probably barely eating. I know that asking you to let me in is an insane request, but I'm desperate. Please." Mark's voice wavers and his eyes burn even more, but he refuses to cry. "I won't be long and I'll only be in Jack's room. I just need to see him."

There's a long sigh from the other end of the line. "Normally I would absolutely refuse to let a hero into our base because of the risk of Cry's advisor finding out, but this is not a normal case. Jack... he's not doing well. He's barely left his room and he hasn't slept at all. I'm pretty desperate to get him out of this, and you seem to be a willing solution." Matthew chuckles humourlessly. "I'll be waiting for you when you get here."

"Thank you. Thank you so much. Thank you," Mark stammers. "I'm heading over now. Thank you. It won't be long."

"You're welcome."

The line goes dead and Mark races from the base, reaching the general area of the NAI building in a matter of minutes. Sure enough, Matthew leans against a wall with a hood up, gesturing Mark over when he sees him.

"He'll be really happy to see you," Matthew says, leading Mark to the villain entrance with slow steps. He winces every once in a while from the healing injury in his side and there's a distinct awkwardness hovering in the air, but the hero ignores it easily. His mind is on Jack and Jack alone.

"His room is the second last one on the left side," Matthew says, gesturing to said door. "He'll be in there. And if you ever need to contact him, we have each other's numbers."

Mark nods, thanks him quickly, and races over to Jack's room, yanking the door open with a feverish sort of desperation. He nearly sobs when he sees Jack lying in his bed, staring blankly at the wall and looking pale with exhaustion. At the sound of the door opening he turns his head, and in the blink of an eye he's upright.

"Mark," he breathes before promptly bursting into tears.

The hero takes two steps to reach the bed and practically throws himself at Jack, trying as hard as humanly possible and still failing at holding his tears back. Unable to stop himself, he sprinkles kisses all over Jack's face and tries not to cry too hard.

"Jack, you're okay, I was so worried, my God you look exhausted, I missed you, I didn't hear anything, Jack, I'm so sorry I'm an idiot and that I scared you away and that the rebels found out and I'm sorry about everything..."

The Irishman wraps his arms around the rambling hero's shoulders, sobbing freely. He grips at his shoulders like if he lets go, Mark will leave again. Mark pulls him as close as humanly possible, burying his face in Jack's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Mark. I'm sorry," the Irishman whispers, kissing at every inch of Mark's skin he can reach. "I was too scared..."

"It's okay. I'm okay," the American replies, his hands skimming up and down Jack's sides. "We'll change our plans to avoid killing Cry and Red is the only one who's really mad about you being a villain so I can protect you from her and it's going to be okay—"

Jack laughs through his sobs and takes Mark's face in his hands, forcing the hero to stop talking. He catches the brown-eyed gaze he loves so much before finally pressing a kiss to his lips, running his fingers through Mark's dark hair. The American quickly obliges, his arms wrapped around Jack's waist.

"Thank you for being here," the villain whispers between kisses.

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be," Mark replies.

The hero slowly pulls Jack down so they're lying on his bed, nuzzling into his neck and dusting him with little pecks. The villain holds him close, pressing his cheek to the hero's hair. Silence falls between them, but it's the most comfortable silence Mark has ever experienced.

"You haven't been sleeping either, have you?" Jack asks softly, letting his fingers trail beneath the hem of Mark's shirt.

"No," the hero replies. After a moment, he props himself up and looks down into Jack's eyes. "You're coming back to our base, right?"

"Like I could even force myself away from you anymore," Jack replies with a smile. The simple gesture lights up his entire face and makes his eyes glisten, and before he knows it Mark is smiling too. He leans down and pulls the Irishman into a gentle kiss again, coaxing a satisfied sigh from Jack.

"It sounds ironic, but I'm tired of running," the villain whispers against the hero's lips. "I'm going to stay with you even if I'm scared out of my mind."

Mark runs his thumb down Jack's jaw and grins. "I'll be right beside you every step of the way."