Chapter Twelve - Avoid Your Problems with Movies

Matthias runs his fingers through his hair and shoves away from his desk, exhaling heavily. The other three heroes crowd around his computer monitor, silent as they watch the activities on screen through one of the hacked street cameras. The pro-NAI and rebel groups start to move off in opposite directions, firing final shots at each other before disappearing. Some of them carry their dead off of the street while others leave them there, wasting away in pools of their own blood. Mark grips the back of Matthias' chair so tightly that his knuckles turn white, the image of Jack saving Cry prominent in his mind. That's my sweetheart... He smiles, but quickly swallows it.

"Why..." Phil whispers, burying his face in his hands. "Why do they use us as an excuse to kill each other?"

"I don't know," Felix replies, patting his shoulder gently.

Mark exhales heavily, attempting to shove his thoughts of Jack to the back of his mind so he isn't smiling like an idiot. "We could have interfered and stopped the fighting."

"We aren't strong enough yet, Mark. You know that. You spent three months trying to recover and the rest of us couldn't keep our strength up because we don't have any sort of training facility.  Plus, our team is decimated." Matthias purses his lips and chews at the nail on his thumb. "Watching this has got me thinking, though... I'll work something out."

The heroes glance at each other, staying silent. Letting Matthias think is usually the best thing to do. Mark shifts in place, his fingers fidgeting. Is Jack coming back tonight? Is he here now?

He excuses himself and leaves the room, heading towards the entry. To his delight Jack stands by the door, pulling off the boots that accompany his super-suit and setting them neatly to the side. He tightens the straps on his eyepatch before straightening up, smiling lightly when he notices Mark standing there.

"How did you know I was here?"

The hero grins. "My spidey senses were tingling."

Jack manages a laugh. "Dork."

Mark opens his arms and the Irishman gladly walks into the hug, resting his head against the American's chest. His exhale is long and laced with exhaustion, leading Mark to hold him tighter.

"How's Cry?" he asks softly.

"Um... he was panicking when I got to him, but we gave him some painkillers and I made sure he was asleep when I left." After a moment of silence, Jack pulls away from Mark's chest in order to narrow his eyes at him. "How did you know something happened to Cry?"

"Street cameras are surprisingly easy to hack," Mark replies. He smiles a bit and pecks Jack's lips. "How about you? How are you holding up?"

The Irishman's eyes flash and he buries his face in the hero's shoulder, sighing heavily. "I dunno."

"What can I do to help?"

Jack shakes his head a bit. "You've done enough for me, Mark. Just... being with me is enough."

Mark bites his lip and runs his hand up and down the Irishman's back gently. "If you need to talk about anything, I'm right here. I want to help you." Please, Jack, please talk to me. I'm so worried for you...

"Mark, I..." Jack takes a shaky breath and presses his forehead into the side of the hero's neck. His voice turns to a whisper as he tightens his arms around Mark's waist. "I'm scared. I'm so, so scared."

"Don't be."

"I can't help it."

Mark buries his nose in Jack's hair for a moment before pulling away, holding the villain's hands in his. "Let's relax a bit, okay? You've had a stressful day and I think I know the cure."

"Okay," Jack replies. "I trust you, love."

Mark smiles and leads him to the living room. After glancing at his super-suit, he pauses and cocks his head to the side. "Do you have clothes under that?"

"No..." Jack replies, his eyebrows furrowing. "Why?"

"Go to our room, put something comfy on, and come back," Mark orders.

The villain rolls his eyes, but heads off down the hallway. The hero takes advantage of his temporary disappearance and grabs blankets and pillows in order to form a nest on the couch, which he crawls into the moment it's complete.

Jack walks back into the room, Mark's hoodie baggy around his slender frame and his sweat pants both too wide and too long. He stares at the nest for a moment before looking to the hero, who grins like a child that just got candy.

"You should wear my clothes more often," Mark comments. "They're cute on you."

Jack tries to scowl, but ends up turning red and needing to look away. Mark grins and pats the seat beside him, coaxing the villain into their little nest. After a second, the Irishman obliges and curls up next to the hero, glancing to the TV.

"What are we watching today, oh great TV remote master?" Jack asks. "Disney?"

"Oh no, not today. I must introduce you to the great and powerful superhero movie," Mark replies, grinning widely at Jack's confused look.

"They make superhero movies? Why?"

"I dunno. Regular civilians love them."

Jack chuckles. "Alright then. Let's do this."

"I wish we looked that cool when we fight," Jack comments sleepily as Captain America and Thor fight back to back, combating aliens with shield and hammer.

"I know, right?" Mark replies, his head slumping to rest against the villain's. "They also have the "I never die" perk, which would be pretty sweet."

"You already have that one, Mark," Jack states with a laugh. "What you need is a badass shield."

"Ooh, yes. Or a katana or something. That would be awesome."

Jack nods, running his fingers back and forth over Mark's waist. "You need a sick hero title now, though. I'm obviously Captain Ireland, but I'm afraid Captain America has already been taken."

"Oh no!" Mark gasps, placing his hand to his forehead dramatically. "Whatever shall this American boy do?"

"Egad! You'll just have to become Lord of Time and be done with it."

"Yes. Definitely. Captain Ireland and Lord of Time, hero and villain allied under a uniting cause. Perfect!"

Jack laughs and Mark leans down, kissing his forehead gently. The Irishman smiles and cuddles up closer to him, his eyes fluttering shut. Absentmindedly, Mark's fingers trail beneath the hem of "Jack's" hoodie, causing the villain to flinch so hard it's like he got an electric shock.

Mark retracts his hand instantly, apologizing profusely. Jack bites his lip and reaches out, catching Mark's hand in his.

"It's okay, I just wasn't expecting it. Sorry," he says, pressing a kiss to the hero's knuckles. "I swear, it's fine."

"Okay, I'm sorry." Mark takes a deep breath and returns his hand to Jack's side, gentle as he moves his hand under the hoodie. Why would his back be such a sensitive spot? What happened? Why won't Jack tell me anything? the American's mind screams.

Slowly but surely, Jack falls asleep with his head on Mark's lap. The hero stays awake, watching the TV and holding the villain close. His body begs him to sleep, but he doesn't.

His problems can wait.