Chapter Fifty-One - Stitches

Jack has only ever been in one of the four UR's, or Unknown Rooms, twice. Both times, the boss was interrogating him and beating him senseless, and after that experience he decided that he never wanted to enter one of those rooms again. However, the moment he sees that the henchmen and Cry are leading Mark and him towards UR #2, his heart starts racing faster.

One henchman unlocks the door and the other two toss Mark inside, the hero stumbling and falling to the ground. With a flick of his wrist Cry sends them away, and Jack is instantly staggering to Mark's side and helping him sit up. With the hero secure in his arms, he first glances around the makeshift cell before looking back to Cry. The masked villain steps inside and kneels down, placing a hand on Jack's shoulder.

"I'll get you out of here as soon as I can, but with Mr. Vincent breathing down my neck it might take a day at least. Hang in there. I'll send Matthew over to bandage up your side and get Mark an icepack."

Jack nods, his arms tightening around Mark as the hero trembles. "Okay. Be safe, Cry. Keep Matthew safe."

"I will. And I'm sorry."

With that, Cry gets to his feet and leaves the room, taking one last glance back at the villain and hero before closing the door. As soon as the door clicks shut Mark buries his face in Jack's chest, trembling violently.

"J-Jack, what are we going to do, Jack, J-Jack," Mark stammers, gripping the front of his suit. "They got us, Jack, we're done... they know and they hurt you and you're still bleeding..."

Jack uses his free hand to lift Mark's chin, meeting the hero's panic-filled eyes. He desperately hopes Mark can't see the fear in his own gaze. "I know that this is really scary, but I need you to trust me. Do you trust me?"

"Of course."

"Good. There will most likely be an interrogation of some sort, and you've seen what those can be like. I'm u-used to this so I'll take the hits, o-okay? Just d-don't tell them anything," Jack explains. He takes a deep breath, wincing as pain shoots up his side. "I'll say that I've been gaining your t-trust and that this will r-ruin my mission progress, and there aren't a-any cameras in any of the URs so Vincent won't s-see us now..."

"Jack, stop. I'm not going to let him hurt you more," Mark replies, reaching up to cup Jack's face in his hands. Worry joins the panic in his eyes and he shakes his head. "You've dealt with enough already.  You have enough scars.  I can take it."

"Your heart is racing. I can f-feel it."

"So is yours. And you're stuttering. And you're bleeding."

"M-Mark, I won't let you take the hits. You're bleeding too."

"Jack..."

The villain pulls Mark in, pressing a shaky kiss to his lips before pulling him into a hug. Mark tucks his face into the crook of Jack's neck, tears pricking at his eyes.

"I'm so scared, Jack," Mark whispers, shutting his eyes tighter. "I'm so scared."

"I know, I know. We're gonna get through this. I've done this before."

The lock on the door clicks and Jack scurries away from Mark, wrapping his arms around his knees. The hero nearly sobs, covering his mouth with his hand as his eyes well even more. However, when Matthew pokes his head into the room, Jack relaxes and moves back to Mark's side.

"Well, this is... something," Matthew comments, glancing around at the makeshift cell before kneeling next to Jack. He sets his medical bag on the ground and starts digging through supplies. "You two are in rough shape. They seriously shot you, Jack?"

"His bullet grazed me, but yeah, I got shot. My stellar immune system is the only reason the wound isn't infected already," Jack replies, gritting his teeth as he clumsily removes his sweater and unzips his torn, blood-stained suit.

Matthew sighs heavily and pulls out a needle, medical thread, and alcohol. "Mark, can you hold him, please? This is gonna really hurt."

Mark nods and pulls Jack close, letting the villain bury his face in his shoulder. Matthew hands him a piece of leather and Jack bites down just as Matthew pours alcohol onto the bullet wound. Jack's scream is muffled by the leather and Mark instantly holds him closer, tears welling in his eyes.

"Sorry, Jack," Matthew says, wincing at the sound of the Irishman's sob.

With each stitch Jack whimpers and groans, and even though it's muffled by the leather piece in his mouth Mark's heart still breaks. He presses his lips to Jack's shoulder and holds them there, every one of Jack's pained noises making his heart clench. He can barely even look as the needle sews up the villain's flesh, his stomach churning violently.

Eventually, Matthew ties up the last stitch and bandages it, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth the whole time. Jack breathes shakily, barely lifting his face from Mark's tear-stained shoulder.

"I'm so sorry, Jack," he says as he finishes taping the bandage down. "That sucked. I'm sorry."

Jack shakes his head and takes the leather strap out of his mouth, wiping the saliva off before handing it back to Matthew. "It's o-okay. Thanks."

Matthew smiles weakly and ruffles his hair. "Hang in there, okay? Cry's gonna get you out."

Jack nods and Matthew reaches into his bag again, passing Mark an icepack and some wet wipes to wash the dried blood off his face. With that, he gets up and leaves the room. The door closes and Jack takes the wet wipes and icepack from Mark's hands gently, starting to wipe dried blood off of the hero's face. Tears pour down his cheeks, and Mark brushes them away with his thumbs.

"Your l-lip is swollen, but your n-nose looks f-fine," Jack says, sniffling and choking back more tears. He barely meets Mark's eyes. "You should put the i-icepack over both anyway."

"Jack, look at me," Mark whispers, wiping another tear from his cheek. After a few attempts the Irishman meets his eyes, and when he finally does the hero's heart clenches. So much pain resides in those baby blues, so much that it makes him want to cry. "Hey, we're going to be okay. Remember to breathe."

Jack's face crumples and he leans forward, resting his forehead on Mark's shoulder. The hero pulls him close and softly nuzzles his sore nose into the villain's hair.

"I'm so sorry," Jack whispers. "I hate that you're here and that you could get hurt."

"Jack, I'll be fine. I'd rather be with you than anywhere else," Mark replies.  He pulls him into his lap, extremely cautious of Jack's newly stitched up side, and kisses his forehead. "We're going to get out of this and then, when we free San Francisco, we can move back into my house.  You, me, and Chica could be our own little family.  Then, we could even go to Ireland and find your family."

"I would love that."  It takes a moment, and then his eyes go wide.  "Wait, really?"

"Totally."

"Are you sure they'd even want to see me?  My family, I mean."

"Of course they would."

A smile finds its way onto Jack's face and he gently kisses Mark's lips. "That sounds awesome."